Fitting fork seals in a pre-divi XJ 600.

Ian W
This post is 3932 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya peeps,

I own a 1991 pre-divi XJ 600 and I need to fit new fork seals.

The questions are, what grade fork oil and how much fork oil would I need in each fork leg?

Do I need any special tools to replace the fork seals?

I usualy just remove the brake calipers/ front wheel, undo the fork sliders and remove them. I then pop out the old seals, slap in the new ones and bung it all back together :D .

Oh and I put some oil in the forks too :D .

Do I need special tools? Is it a straight forward jobby?

Thanking you in advance, Ian :D .

• 3 years later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

did you ever find out??

I want to take my forks apart and the haynes manual says to make a home made tool with the "correct" size bolt as a hex drive. it does not say what size the hex is in the bottom of the stanchions is? and it is not the easiest thing to measure.

Phil

Yes, I remember this job well... Every year my trusty old rattler would need new fork seals... From what I recall they didn't need a special tool as such, strip the front end down and remove the forks from the triple trees, then remove the bolt from the bottom of the stanchions with an Allen key, can't remember what size but it was probably 6 or 8 mm, the old seals are held under a circling, a good set of pliers is all that's required to remove these, with the caliper removed a sharp upward pull should seperate the legs from the stanchion, reinstallation is the same in reverse, i used 10w oil although 15w would be better as it request front end dive under braking, from memory I think it's about 400ml although without a Haynes manual it is only a guess

• 11 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online