help

mrbump
This post is 5496 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there

I hope that one of the knowledgeable members can help me out. I keep losing power on my xvs 125 dragstar it feels as if the fuel is cutting out, i have had the carbs cleaned to no avail. It starts fine even when left for a while but when you give it some throttle it dies unless you back off and then really coax the power on slowly. This happens about 80 % of the time i can ride for 10 miles before it happens or i might get lucky and it doesn't happen at all.. Its driving me mad cause no one seems to have a clue :blink: so i would be really grateful if someone can shed some light on it for me. Cheers guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there

I hope that one of the knowledgeable members can help me out. I keep losing power on my xvs 125 dragstar it feels as if the fuel is cutting out, i have had the carbs cleaned to no avail. It starts fine even when left for a while but when you give it some throttle it dies unless you back off and then really coax the power on slowly. This happens about 80 % of the time i can ride for 10 miles before it happens or i might get lucky and it doesn't happen at all.. Its driving me mad cause no one seems to have a clue :blink: so i would be really grateful if someone can shed some light on it for me. Cheers guys.

i am sorry to say i have the same problem,starts fine i can do ten or twenty miles not a problem slow done for a roundabout or traffic lights open the throttle and the engine just dies starts again no problem, like you some times it does

not happen, have had the carbs off twice and cleaned checked jets , yamaha have been no help what so ever told it was the air filter fitted new air filter checked all inlets and outlets all clear and in good order no cracks,fuel lines all clear drained tank and carbs new fuel still happening ,throttle sensor checked all ok , idle checked and all ok there, its like you say just so bloody annoying i rode to conway last week which is 80 miles not a problem it did not happen once then coming back after two miles it just cut out when overtaking pulled in clutch hit the stater and away it goes for another five miles then did it again three times then ok for the next fifty miles, it is a 2001 with 4500mls on it in perfect nick apart from this, i am not new to bikes have been riding since 1963 had had many bikes but this is just driving me mad if i crack it will let you know.

I hope for your sake this isn't the problem, but when I had the 125 it happened to me and I've heard of a few others too...

Check the crankshaft.

It seems a batch of 125 dragstars came into england a few years ago with "dodgy" crankshafts, fortunatly mine was still under warrenty at the time. Worth checking out...

i am sorry to say i have the same problem,starts fine i can do ten or twenty miles not a problem slow done for a roundabout or traffic lights open the throttle and the engine just dies starts again no problem, like you some times it does

not happen, have had the carbs off twice and cleaned checked jets , yamaha have been no help what so ever told it was the air filter fitted new air filter checked all inlets and outlets all clear and in good order no cracks,fuel lines all clear drained tank and carbs new fuel still happening ,throttle sensor checked all ok , idle checked and all ok there, its like you say just so bloody annoying i rode to conway last week which is 80 miles not a problem it did not happen once then coming back after two miles it just cut out when overtaking pulled in clutch hit the stater and away it goes for another five miles then did it again three times then ok for the next fifty miles, it is a 2001 with 4500mls on it in perfect nick apart from this, i am not new to bikes have been riding since 1963 had had many bikes but this is just driving me mad if i crack it will let you know.

Yep that sounds exactly the same as mine someone metioned it may be the tank is pulling a vacuum what you reckon

Yep that sounds exactly the same as mine someone metioned it may be the tank is pulling a vacuum what you reckon

as far as drewpys suggestion on float level it is not that with mine as float levels were all done and have checked the inlet and outlet pipes,forgot to mention fuel pump renewed as i thought it could be that have run bike with filler cap undone so i can not think its a vacuum problem and as for the crankshaft as has been suggested if your bike runs like mine no knocks no noises what so ever no loss of power then what the crankshaft has to do with it i dont know, sidestand switch checked and cut off switch checked all ok its just a mystery? does not happen all the time as you say it can happen twice in half a mile or after ten miles and the next day not at all have looked on other sites and a couple of other people have the same issue will just keep trying

as far as drewpys suggestion on float level it is not that with mine as float levels were all done and have checked the inlet and outlet pipes,forgot to mention fuel pump renewed as i thought it could be that have run bike with filler cap undone so i can not think its a vacuum problem and as for the crankshaft as has been suggested if your bike runs like mine no knocks no noises what so ever no loss of power then what the crankshaft has to do with it i dont know, sidestand switch checked and cut off switch checked all ok its just a mystery? does not happen all the time as you say it can happen twice in half a mile or after ten miles and the next day not at all have looked on other sites and a couple of other people have the same issue will just keep trying

yep no knocks at all, dont think it is a cut off or switch problem as i can can sometimes coax it along

It really does sound like intermittent fuel blockage. It's the egg in the tank syndrome. Its OK for a few miles as the egg is dragged down by the fuel flow and then it blocks the outlet and stops the engine. Soon as you stop, the egg has floated to the top and away again you go.

It must be in the tank.

It really does sound like intermittent fuel blockage. It's the egg in the tank syndrome. Its OK for a few miles as the egg is dragged down by the fuel flow and then it blocks the outlet and stops the engine. Soon as you stop, the egg has floated to the top and away again you go.

It must be in the tank.

Folks i have had the same problem, i though it was electrical, then i checked fuel it seems when i get under half a tank the bike tells me that im empty and need to go to reserve (that feeling u get when u have to flip to reserve) as we dont have fuel indicators!!! so i tried a theory i let the bike go down to half a tank thn i got the same feeling, flippedd it on reserve and hey presto.......worked fine

I then got some fuel cleaning gear that u just pour into the tank and kept her topped up then tried and tested the theory of it being a fuel problem and it is..possibly fuel filter blockage at a certain point...but the more i run through with the fuel cleaner the less it happens ...worth a try than going and getting a new crank shaft for £800 haha