DT175MX Oil Change

crowtoms
This post is 5505 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The engine oil in this old bike looks a bit gummy.!

I don.t think it has been running for a few years (took me weeks to get it running again)

What oil should I be putting in it and is there a flush I can get like you can with car engines or will one of those work just as well.?

Cheers. Tom

PS. I am a printer by trade and can produce repro decals for these old bikes. I have made quite a few for local bikers. Anyone want any.. get in touch [email protected]

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The engine oil in this old bike looks a bit gummy.!

I don.t think it has been running for a few years (took me weeks to get it running again)

What oil should I be putting in it and is there a flush I can get like you can with car engines or will one of those work just as well.?

Cheers. Tom

PS. I am a printer by trade and can produce repro decals for these old bikes. I have made quite a few for local bikers. Anyone want any.. get in touch [email protected]

Change the oil after you fix the running problems because you will be better off draining it when it is warm / hot

The manual states 10W30 oil...650cc quantity

Personally I would use any motor oil even 10W40 that you may have to hand, these engines arent fussy and its only transmission oil so will be ok

When I found my bike the crankcase oil was pretty milky, hadn't been used for donkeys and clearly a bit of water in there. I had to wait until I got it running to really get the oil sorted out and run a couple of changes after it was warm. I went for the cheaper 10W30 oil from car places rather than the much more expensive "special" 10W30 oil from a bike shop. At least for the first few changes anyways. Happy to hear if that's bad or not but she's running sweet now.

Interested in the decal side of things as I'm thinking about how far I take the fix-up. Hard to find exactly the right ones but got pretty close ('74 DT250). Had everything except the tank stripe was different. At $65 US + postage I might leave it though and keep looking. How do you do it? Do you scan the originals? I have no idea.

Cheers,Gordo

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online