Another tire question

mdsims
This post is 5513 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I searched the forum and still have a question:

So it's time for new tires.

I was looking at the Dunlop 404 series. My 77 xs 400 has the cast alloy wheels. By the age of the bike I'd assume they came from the factory tubed but since they are not spoked wheels can I run my tires tubeless? I found the tires I wanted to get but it seems that I'm left more confused.

Here are the tires I was looking at:

Rear:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/...-Rear-Tire.aspx

Front:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/...Front-Tire.aspx

both are bias ply tubeless. Can I run these tires as is or must I run them with tubes?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you can run tubeless tyres but with tubes. but check with manufacturer/retailer before purchase for different makes ( i run BT45's)

hmmm, my 81 xs400-SH had cast alloy wheels with the original tubeless tires on them when i bought it.....

my '80 xs400 has the cast wheels, my front tire is tubeless and the rear has a tube

checked my manuals xs400 sg (3F9), SH (4r4), sj (14v) were tubeless all other models tubed

My bike is a 2A2...the local shop I called said that they think the cast xs wheels can be ran tubeless so they'll try it, see if they will hold air, and run my tires tubed if needed.

I went with the dunlop 404's. After taxes, old tire disposal fee and everything else they will be $170 otd, free mount/balance

My bike is a 2A2...the local shop I called said that they think the cast xs wheels can be ran tubeless so they'll try it, see if they will hold air, and run my tires tubed if needed.

I went with the dunlop 404's. After taxes, old tire disposal fee and everything else they will be $170 otd, free mount/balance

2A2 is def not tubeless, you are running the risk of tyres running off the rim as the wheel edge is different. Its ok for them to say see if it holds air, but that's not the full picture!!

I don't want to put;

"told you it was tubed" on your head stone :unsure:

(melodramatic, but couldn't resist)

drewps

2A2 is def not tubeless, you are running the risk of tyres running off the rim as the wheel edge is different. Its ok for them to say see if it holds air, but that's not the full picture!!

I don't want to put;

"told you it was tubed" on your head stone :unsure:

(melodramatic, but couldn't resist)

drewps

so I can run tubeless tires with tubes and be fine?

Shouldn't be a prob......just make sure they're balanced properly. ;)

Nice choice of rubber BTW......ran those on my 750 Maxim with great results.

yep, i run BT45's with tubes

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online