new bike, well new to me anyways!

brandaha
This post is 5510 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an old 1988 fz 600 cc bike that i just picked up tonight. to the tune of $350.00 USD I am hugely excited for what the future hold for me and my bike hopefully not a lot of heartache...please God. but yest its red white and black i believe.

clock reads 5996 or something like that. I have posted a help add earlier and no one responded to it i wished that people would be cause seeing as how this is my first bike that i have ever owned i want it to be a good one that will last me a while one that i won't grow out of or give up on. I not one of those posers who goes out and get the fancy expensive riding gear and all that and a new bike. 1 I can't afford all that plus its about the passion and the freedom and i have always wanted a bike since i was little now I'm old enough that I wont have mum and dad getting in the way for fear of my safety even though i worry about it myself i know that I'm going to be sensable about riding and try to remain safe im going to take the course well if my work schedule will afford me the time off to set the classes up. anyhow. I have stayed up very late for the last 3 weeks searching craigslist for a suitably priced bike and last night one jumped out at my. I imediately shot off a email to the guy by morning and through out the night i was obsessing I don't think i got to many hours of full sleep last night. I woke up got read for work and gave the guy a call on my way out turns out although i haven't ever really been all that lucky in my life The Big Guy had my back on this one he answers and say yeh.. I go well my names Brandon do you have the bike still... Uh yeh (mean while i think he was thinking i was going to give him a big shpeal about how i would like the bike and wanted him to take payments) no no no not me well in that case can i call you when i get off or when I get my check tomorrow. (tomorrow being an hour from now us pacific time) he was like yeah long story short everyone i told about it was giving the "YOU DON'T NEED A MOTORCYCLE" speech and i wasn't trying to hear it like i said before this has been my dream and in my book real men don't give up on their dreams they buckle up and go for the ride. anyhow tonight after all said an done i got the bike in my garage downstairs and i don't think i will be able to focus tomorrow for i will be stuck thinking about mods and getting my lovely bike up and running. I sat on the bike and for those few minutes it felt like (i know this may sound cheesy but) "I and the bike were one" dream have way completed only now the fun part rebuild the bike on a shoe string budget and get it running in a few weeks.....uh I think i just crapped myself cause that sounds like a hell of a job to me. here the thing I was thinking a few of you guys could possibly help me out along the way with my project for the love of motorcycling please please please with sugar on top gimme some feedback I would so greatly appreciate it, its not even funny.

so far i have replaced the magneto coil, the cdi and thats it the I have taken that electrical meter and do that probing test. it all came back as expected I know i will need a new battery going to sorce that tomorrow. where should I go from there oh yeh and did a compression test.

so i know I have been a little long winded but I would love it if you guys could gimme any pointers at all.

thanks for listening

Brandon

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so far i have replaced the magneto coil, the cdi and thats it the I have taken that electrical meter and do that probing test. it all came back as expected I know i will need a new battery going to sorce that tomorrow. where should I go from there oh yeh and did a compression test.

so i know I have been a little long winded but I would love it if you guys could gimme any pointers at all.

thanks for listening

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

is this bike a late air cooled or an early water cooled ?

I guess from your post the bike is a non runner, with no spark ? The method to trace that fault would depend a little on which bike you have, In the UK there is a fair chance a bike of that age would be air cooled, and the sequence for checking the ignition out would first off check the obvious (kill switch, side stand switch & wiring). With a charged battery crank the engine with the plugs removed & grounded and check for a spark at the plugs.

No Spark :- Remove a plug cap and hold it about MM from the cylinder and crank the motor (you should get a spark jump from the lead to the head), if you get a spark at this point the problem lies with plugs and/or caps)

Spark at the plugs :- Check the engine compression and then go and strip the carbs out, if the bike has been laid up for any length of time I would guess the carbs to be at fault as fuel left in them tends to deteriorate into a green sludge , which blocks the jets and passages within the carbs.

without knowing what bike you have I cannot be much more help.

Regards Jim

Hi Brandon,

is this bike a late air cooled or an early water cooled ?

I guess from your post the bike is a non runner, with no spark ? The method to trace that fault would depend a little on which bike you have, In the UK there is a fair chance a bike of that age would be air cooled, and the sequence for checking the ignition out would first off check the obvious (kill switch, side stand switch & wiring). With a charged battery crank the engine with the plugs removed & grounded and check for a spark at the plugs.

No Spark :- Remove a plug cap and hold it about MM from the cylinder and crank the motor (you should get a spark jump from the lead to the head), if you get a spark at this point the problem lies with plugs and/or caps)

Spark at the plugs :- Check the engine compression and then go and strip the carbs out, if the bike has been laid up for any length of time I would guess the carbs to be at fault as fuel left in them tends to deteriorate into a green sludge , which blocks the jets and passages within the carbs.

without knowing what bike you have I cannot be much more help.

Regards Jim

Hi jim thanks for the help

I believe it is the air cooled FZ 600

when the bike was layed down it was missing a few pieces like the electric starter and kill switch pod and the accelorator is screwed too. other than that it all seems okay i will be needing a new battery. but when last guy had it hooked up to a battery it would turn over but not get spark im told.

again thanks for all you help.

Brandon

Hi jim thanks for the help

I believe it is the air cooled FZ 600

when the bike was layed down it was missing a few pieces like the electric starter and kill switch pod and the accelorator is screwed too. other than that it all seems okay i will be needing a new battery. but when last guy had it hooked up to a battery it would turn over but not get spark im told.

again thanks for all you help.

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I guess you need to get a r/h switch connected first off you may find that this cures it also check out that side stand switch

Regards Jim

[

Hi ,brandon the fz 600 was my first bike after passing my test many years age i can understand how excited you are to be riding a big bike, after 6months of riding the bike things whent bang in a big way the timing chain snapped a nearly had me off the bike stayed in the garage the the next 7 years then decided to do some thing about it, engine had to be replaced £150 the bike refused to start and no spark at the plugs , replaced coils, ht leads, spark plugs , genarator, regulator, ignition switch, starter switch, digital box checked all the connectors on loom and cleaned up, checked resistence with good digital oms meters,new battery, cleaned up the carbs , and buy your self a good manual as they have most of the testing data you will need, the bike does run now but not as i would like it carb balance next i think, if you are going to restore this bike i can tell you its not cheap i could of had a good second hand fz for what i have spent on this bike but thats not what i wanted, if you go to the search bar a put fz600 in it will show you all the old posts on this model , ileft one some time ago with the resistance data for testing the electrical parts , and there are some with the same problem with no spark at the plugs took me 2 weeks to get a weak spark there other items you can check on old post like side stand switch,

engine cut out swith etc etc.

hope this helps hobbo

Hi Brandon,

I guess you need to get a r/h switch connected first off you may find that this cures it also check out that side stand switch

Regards Jim

thanks jim i will get right on that i thought about both those parts and also these other the starter relay and the ignition coil cause the bike doesn't seem to have spark. also please elaborate on what a side stand relay does I have been looking all over for that info no such luck all i find is a bunch of guys asking for a way to bypass it.

I really appreciate you tunning into my post man

thanks a bunch

Brandon

thanks jim i will get right on that i thought about both those parts and also these other the starter relay and the ignition coil cause the bike doesn't seem to have spark. also please elaborate on what a side stand relay does I have been looking all over for that info no such luck all i find is a bunch of guys asking for a way to bypass it.

I really appreciate you tunning into my post man

thanks a bunch

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

the side switch does not allow the bike to pull off with the side stand down by killing the ign circut i.e when the bike is put into gear with the side stand down the bike stops, but if it goes wrong it may stop the ign wether the bike is in N or not. you can test for this by putting an ohm meter across the connections , you should have a circut whith the stand in one position and open circut in the other

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online