78 XS 400 kickstart hits rear brake pedal

Pistol Pete
This post is 5519 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just piked up at 78 XS 400 on the cheap. Running pretty well after cleaning the carbs. One of the carbs has a needle that's broken off and I assume that's why one cylinder backfires a bit while at idle. Ordered a carb kit from fleabay which should hopefully take care of that.

Now the for question

The kickstart lever when all the way down hits the rear brake pedal arm. Sometimes to the point they will bind up on each other. I've rotated the rear brake down slightly so they wont hit but it puts the pedal below the footpeg which renders it useless. I'm wondering if I have an incorrect kickstart lever or wrong/bent brake pedal. Even the ones I see on fleabay seems to have wear in the spot where mine hit. Is this a common problem with these bikes?

Pete

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The kickstart lever when all the way down hits the rear brake pedal arm. Sometimes to the point they will bind up on each other. I've rotated the rear brake down slightly so they wont hit but it puts the pedal below the footpeg which renders it useless. I'm wondering if I have an incorrect kickstart lever or wrong/bent brake pedal. Even the ones I see on fleabay seems to have wear in the spot where mine hit. Is this a common problem with these bikes?

Pete

my brake pedal is slightly below the footrest, that way i can rest my foot on it with out depressing the rear brake!!

may be its just the setup, but never had any probs in that dept.

Be careful with the mixture needles the tips like to stay in the carb body if toightened too far and if left tighten for too long. your kick start shouldn't bind up on the brake peddle at all, maybe rub but not bind.

Just piked up at 78 XS 400 on the cheap. Running pretty well after cleaning the carbs. One of the carbs has a needle that's broken off and I assume that's why one cylinder backfires a bit while at idle. Ordered a carb kit from fleabay which should hopefully take care of that.

Now the for question

Pete

Be careful with the mixture needles the tips like to stay in the carb body if toightened too far and if left tighten for too long. your kick start shouldn't bind up on the brake peddle at all, maybe rub but not bind.

Well sure enough one of the mixture needs is broken off and the tip is stuck in there just slightly protruding into the body of the carb. After picking at it with whatever right angle tool I could find in my garage I wasn't able to get it out. Anyone have any tips on how to get this sucker out. I assume it will only come out the way it is supposed to go in. Maybe a small right angle pick like a dental pick or maybe drill it out from the top. Any suggestions or tips here?

Thanks

its brass and the only way is to press it down, it wil open up the hole slightly but new needles will screw down to compensate

its brass and the only way is to press it down, it wil open up the hole slightly but new needles will screw down to compensate

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on what kind of tool to use. Maybe a straight pick or an all.

Ok I pushed that little sucker out and replaced it. Idles perfect now no backfires. But it leaves me with a new problem. I now occasionally backfire when running 2000-3000 rpm. I assume I have to set the needle much lower than before...?

Ok I pushed that little sucker out and replaced it. Idles perfect now no backfires. But it leaves me with a new problem. I now occasionally backfire when running 2000-3000 rpm. I assume I have to set the needle much lower than before...?

yep! you'll have to fiddle i'm afraid. Its an old bike so wont be perfect fuelling