Stripped screw

Follyworks
This post is 5533 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I was adjusting the points on my xs400, and discovered to my dismay that one of the screws (the one for adjusting the right point, if it matters to anyone) seems to be at least partially stripped - still some resistance as I turn it, but it just keeps turning and turning without quite cinching down.

As it's the first time I've been at these screws on this bike, I'm cursing the PO a bit, and looking at my options - do I replace the whole piece that the points assembly screws into, or see if I can come up with some way to restore the threads. I'm leery of drilling out the hole and just tapping it to the next size bigger screw, it's all a little too close to the things that I don't want metal shavings getting into.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you can take the plates off and renew with new/breaker part, or retap if you think there is room