Newbie Needs some advice!

RadianNewb
This post is 5539 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone!!

I just got in from my first ride on my 1987 (or 89... I'm not sure!) Yamaha Radian 600. It rode very nice!

I traded it for an old GMC pickup truck, and I LOVE it. It's very sharp, and has 5,500 miles logged.

My first (of many, I'm sure) questions is this: What maintenance should I perform right now? The last guy owned it for about a year, and he didn't even know where to put oil in, which pains me.

I'm a Land Rover owner and I love working on stuff- so if there is a list of maintenance that all new owners should perform, I'd love to see it!

THANK YOU, everyone!!

-NewB

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1 : park your land rover on firm level ground, (see owners manual).

1 : park your land rover on firm level ground, (see owners manual).

Firm level ground.... Like this?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm235/pkilchermann/lr.jpg

;)

Nope, the Radian isn't green... just plain ole black. I can't tell you how fun it is to ride though. It still pretty cold here in the northern U.S., and I don't have a real helmet yet (wore a Kevlar military helmet), but it was still very fun.

Do you guys know if it hurts to run Premium gas in these things? Also- what sort of oil do these 4cyl .9L engines use? Can I use synthetic?

THANK YOU, guys!

lr.jpg

You should get those brakes checked ;)

Semi synthetic oil is your best bet, full synthetic can sometimes cause clutch slip

Wow, thanks for the oil tip- I'll be changing that this weekend. Are there any other fluids that regularly need a change?

Also- the guy I traded it for said to use the clutch every time you shift, but I discovered yesterday that shifting was much smoother if you didn't use the clutch- am I hurting the "transmission"?

Thanks!!

NewB

Might be an idea to change the fork oil, you will have to find out (get a manual) how to do it, what viscosity and how much to use, this doesn't need doing very often but its an old bike and you don't know when it was last done. brake fluid should also be changed just as it does in a car from time to time. You should use your clutch all the time for gear changing...Tip...when down shifting (only) give the throttle a little blip as you pull the clutch and simultaneously change gear, you will find it is much smoother that way.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online