Spark Plug cap resistance

paultsmith
This post is 5526 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am replacing the spark plug caps and high tension wires on my XS bike.

The service data sheet says that spark plug cap should have a resistance of 10kOhm resistance however the new caps I bought have a resistance of 5Kohm and I am having a problem finding the 10kohm caps.

Any one know if there will be a problem using the 5kOhm resistance caps?

The bike has CDI ignition.

There was not a problem with the old caps and whe I measured them they were at about 6kohm.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am replacing the spark plug caps and high tension wires on my XS bike.

The service data sheet says that spark plug cap should have a resistance of 10kOhm resistance however the new caps I bought have a resistance of 5Kohm and I am having a problem finding the 10kohm caps.

Any one know if there will be a problem using the 5kOhm resistance caps?

The bike has CDI ignition.

There was not a problem with the old caps and whe I measured them they were at about 6kohm.

Hi Paul,

if you are replacing the caps on your XS400 5K caps will be fine, I replaced some TDM850 10k caps with 5k ngk caps (Yamaha wanted £37 per cap) with no probs ... in fact it cured the slight problem the bike had. If your XS is a sohc unit has it had cdi fitted if its dohc it was std, the point with that is sohc engines had 5k caps as std & I cannot remember what was fitted to the dohc modals

Regards Jim