MORE POWER FOR 1976 DT125

enduro76
This post is 5545 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I purchased a 1976 dt125 with only 4600 miles and in excellent condition. I enjoy driving it around town. I get a lot of compliments and it's much cooler than a scooter. Is there anything I can do to get a little more power out of the engine? Top speed is currently 55mph if I'm not driving into the wind. With the wind in my face I have to down shift to maintain 40mph.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I purchased a 1976 dt125 with only 4600 miles and in excellent condition. I enjoy driving it around town. I get a lot of compliments and it's much cooler than a scooter. Is there anything I can do to get a little more power out of the engine? Top speed is currently 55mph if I'm not driving into the wind. With the wind in my face I have to down shift to maintain 40mph.

Get it bored out two sizes over and put in a new piston and rings

You could put a 175 top end on it.

Check your intake, exhaust and transfer timing. A skilled tuner can do magic to your engine without killing it.

I`ve never checked the timing on a Yamaha engine from the 70`s before so i dont know if they are far away from perfect.

Others like my Gilera have totaly wrong timing.

my 74 dt is a 2 stroke. the only timing possible is spark timing I think and i'm not quite sure how to do that other than adjusting the points.

What I`m talking about here is to move the height of the ports where you want it.

You could set up the engine to have more power in the middle range for sunday driving or you could set it up for maximum power at the top range for racing.

On newer engines there is not mutch you can do, they are already tuned for best preformance from factory,

but on older engines you could get a lot of "hidden" power by adjusting (read "grinding") your ports.

If you dont know how to do it, DONT DO IT ! Its not that hard, but you could easily make the engine even worse.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online