Oil and kickstand switch

echums
This post is 5547 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

1/ I went to top up my oil a bit, and as I took the cap off, the oil looked a bit milky and thick.

Does any know what this means?

2/ The previous owner snipped the cable to the kickstand switch (for some reason), I've got a new one, but the service manual doesn't tell you/show you where to plug it in. Can anyone describe where its supposed to go?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all,

1/ I went to top up my oil a bit, and as I took the cap off, the oil looked a bit milky and thick.

Does any know what this means?

2/ The previous owner snipped the cable to the kickstand switch (for some reason), I've got a new one, but the service manual doesn't tell you/show you where to plug it in. Can anyone describe where its supposed to go?

Thanks.

Hi There,

1) the oil going milky will be due to it not getting hot enough, if you run the bike on short journeys condensation builds up in the crankcase & mixes with the oil. If you need to use the bike on short journeys you may try covering the oil cooler so that the oil gets hotter quicker and lessens the chance of engine condensation (which is verry bad for clutches !!). Failing that give the bike a good run or leave it idling for a long time in order to get the oil hot.

2) Side stand switch, I assume the wiring has been removed, else you could just trace it back to the connector, if so remove the side panal and/or tank to find the 'spare' connector, prior to divi (XJ600/YX600) the connector was under the L/h side cover area but have a dig around that area

Regards Jim

Cheers mate, the oil sounds right, I only use to get to lectures and back everyday, which is about 15 mins away. I'll idle it longer before trips, and I give her longer rides when the weather is nice.

Yeah he just cut the cable near the switch so theres nothing to trace back, but I'll have a look when i've got a minute. Thanks again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online