R125 cut out and wont start

james12345
This post is 5574 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

My first post, so please be gentle!

With all the rain that we had in the South East on Monday evening, I got thoroughly soaked on my way home from work. During the ride, the bike would occasionally splutter, and a couple of times it cut out. It started again relatively easily, but literally yards from home it died and wouldn't fire up again.

It's now been sat in my garage drying out, and the problem still persists.

A couple of things: 1) is this likely to be wet electrics? If so, what in particular? Are there vulnerable areas I could start with? 2) Seeing a post about fuel cap breathing just now, is this a likely cause? I've had it for about 8 months, and it's done just over 8000 miles (but not yet had the 8000 mile service)

I now plan to check the fuel cap this evening, but does anyone else have any helpful additions to this?

Many thanks.

james12345

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all.

My first post, so please be gentle!

With all the rain that we had in the South East on Monday evening, I got thoroughly soaked on my way home from work. During the ride, the bike would occasionally splutter, and a couple of times it cut out. It started again relatively easily, but literally yards from home it died and wouldn't fire up again.

It's now been sat in my garage drying out, and the problem still persists.

A couple of things: 1) is this likely to be wet electrics? If so, what in particular? Are there vulnerable areas I could start with? 2) Seeing a post about fuel cap breathing just now, is this a likely cause? I've had it for about 8 months, and it's done just over 8000 miles (but not yet had the 8000 mile service)

I now plan to check the fuel cap this evening, but does anyone else have any helpful additions to this?

Many thanks.

james12345

Hi James , welcome to the forum

Get some WD40, spray the spark plug cap, spray the wire lead (HT lead) all the way back to where it goes into the ignition coil, spray the side stand switch, fingers crossed and try again. ;)