79 750S Headlight Issues

willi183
This post is 5556 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I purchased a 79 750 this past winter and have been working on it ever since. I recently ran into an issue with the headlight unit. When I took off the headlight I found that the guy had hard wired the "high" beam directly into the battery so I was not able to shift from high to low beam. After redoing a majority of the wiring I was able to battery test the headlight and it still works great. Now, my high beam indicator is connected, but the plug that goes into the headlight has a yellow and green coming off of it (I am assuming a low and high beam) that needs power. Unfortunately there are no other wires in the head light and I was wondering if the guy had removed them. Where is the incoming source of power suppose to be from? Thanks --

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me. I purchased a 79 750 this past winter and have been working on it ever since. I recently ran into an issue with the headlight unit. When I took off the headlight I found that the guy had hard wired the "high" beam directly into the battery so I was not able to shift from high to low beam. After redoing a majority of the wiring I was able to battery test the headlight and it still works great. Now, my high beam indicator is connected, but the plug that goes into the headlight has a yellow and green coming off of it (I am assuming a low and high beam) that needs power. Unfortunately there are no other wires in the head light and I was wondering if the guy had removed them. Where is the incoming source of power suppose to be from? Thanks --

on my '78 xs400 this came from the ignition switch. I had to solder another wire onto mine when i bought another switch

"the plug that goes into the headlight has a yellow and green coming off of it (I am assuming a low and high beam) that needs power. Unfortunately there are no other wires in the head light and I was wondering if the guy had removed them. Where is the incoming source of power suppose to be from? Thanks --"

There should be 3 wires at the head light plug,,, Yellow,main beam, green, dip beam and black is earth, power would come from the headlight or dip switch.