'82 XS400 Repair Help

Brewer74
This post is 5559 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey There,

I recently has an accident on my 1982 Yamaha XS400. I used to commute everyday on the thing as I dont drive a car, the bike al the way. Recently I have had to rely on Public Transport :angry: I was coming down a hill, it high sided me and threw me off, coming down on the right hand side of the bike. This caused the handlebar to bend back about 90 degrees and the right hand controls to bend back around. This happend a couple of months ago, and its been in my driveway ever since. Its time to get it going again. I started the engine today, no worries all good there still, but as I went to move the bike, I noticed that the rear brake was stuck on. I tried moving the rear brake lever, and there was almost no give at all. Its a drum brake and am not sure if it is a result of the brake seizing from not being used for a while or if the impact of the accident caused it. I am looking at getting a aftermarket handlebar, as i cannot find parts for this model in Australia. I am also going to replace the battery, just in case. Any thoughts on what handlebar to go for? (I have no idea what im looking for..), and what do you think I should do about the rear brake situation. thanks in advance for any help provided.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there and welcome to the forum, Cant help with the bars as I dont know your shops in Oz, but shouldnt be too difficult to source some, have you looked at Wemoto. Anyway as for the brake, you should be able to push the little actuating arm on the backplate and it should return under the infuence of the springs on the brake shoes, if it feels very stiff, then it is no doubt seized up in the hole, if this is the case you wil have to strip it down and clean and grease the the brake cam where it passes through the backplate. before you strip it down, mark the actuating arm in relation the the splines that its on so you get it back in the correct place.

...Paul

Hi there and welcome to the forum, Cant help with the bars as I dont know your shops in Oz, but shouldnt be too difficult to source some, have you looked at Wemoto. Anyway as for the brake, you should be able to push the little actuating arm on the backplate and it should return under the infuence of the springs on the brake shoes, if it feels very stiff, then it is no doubt seized up in the hole, if this is the case you wil have to strip it down and clean and grease the the brake cam where it passes through the backplate. before you strip it down, mark the actuating arm in relation the the splines that its on so you get it back in the correct place.

...Paul

Hey thanks for the reply,

I managed to get the handlebars off today, ill take them to my local shop and see if I can find the same, if not similar, handlebars for the bike, shouldnt be too hard. Ill take a picture today to show you the damadge to the bike. I tried to move the lever of the back brake as well as move the actual arm, its is very stiff, so id say it is siezed up. Is the actuating arm supposed to go fowards or back when releasing the brake? Im pretty sure though, ill have to open her up. This is a pain, as i really am no mechanic. Will I have to take off the wheel to have a look? This could be a mega mission, might have to take it to a shop for that one. Ill post the pic today, and ill go to the shop tomoz to try and get this new battery, handlebar and a new front brake lever (snapped of from accident), as its Sunday over here and the shops are closed. that and the cricket is on today. :D Thanks again for the help.

You've got the standard 7/8" bars....can find them anywhere on the web. Ebay is a good source.

Do you have a service manual for your bike? Pick one up if you don't. These types of scoots are really easy to work on, even for the layperson.

Go here for NOS parts if you can't locate used stuff on ebay (including those handlebars).

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I have gone out and gotten some handlebars for the bike, I have gotten them on okay, all good there. I moved the bike around today too, seems like the brake was just a little stiff, so a big relief there. The new grips and stuff look good too. I just need to give the engine a good run now, get a new front brake lever and right mirror, and im back on the road. I moved the screw on the swing arm of the rear brake though, i will have to move this back to where it was. Anything else I should look for before taking it out after being there for so long? thanks again for all the help.

Okay, I have got the bars on, got the rear wheel moving and it is looking good for getting this thing back on the road soon. I now have an issue with the motor. I can start the bike fine, not a problem first up, I can idle or give it a little revs in neutral or first for about 2 min or so. Then all power goes, engine stops. It dosent sputter or anything when stopping, it just plain stops. I then have trouble starting it again. It sputters and farts, but dosent kick to life. If I leave it for 15min or so, I can start it again no problems, but it just dies after the same amount of time. I have removed and checked the spark plugs, thought it may have been the problem, but they look fine and I gave them a light sanding because it had been sitting there for a while. Still no joy. Any other thoughts of what to do next? i am so close to getting back on the road, its killing me