Removing Front Wheel

ajc99z
This post is 5588 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Once the necessary nuts are removed is there a trick to removing the axle? Tips anyone can offer?

As it may not be necessary to even remove the front wheel to service the drum brake, anyone know the procedure for removing the drum cover plates?

Better to ask those with more experience than to screw stuff up!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not being familiar with the XS i cannot say for definite but the spindle maybe threaded into the fork leg behind the nut, try unscrewing it out first, if not put a piece of wood against the end and tap it out, I assume you have undone the clamp

Merv

Not being familiar with the XS i cannot say for definite but the spindle maybe threaded into the fork leg behind the nut, try unscrewing it out first, if not put a piece of wood against the end and tap it out, I assume you have undone the clamp

Merv

Yeah, all the bolts are off. Figured it would be a matter of hammering out the axle (using a block of wood).

Yeah, all the bolts are off. Figured it would be a matter of hammering out the axle (using a block of wood).

I haven't found a need to use a hammer on mine but you do need to remove the wheel to service the front drum brake any further than adjusting the free play.

I haven't found a need to use a hammer on mine but you do need to remove the wheel to service the front drum brake any further than adjusting the free play.

Cy, you mentioned you replaced the front drum on your bike. Once the wheel is off, whats the best way to get into the drum? From the schematics it looks like there is a nut holding the speedometer cable to the gear. So once that's removed what else needs to be done?

Thanks.

Cy, you mentioned you replaced the front drum on your bike. Once the wheel is off, whats the best way to get into the drum? From the schematics it looks like there is a nut holding the speedometer cable to the gear. So once that's removed what else needs to be done?

Thanks.

I didn't remove the speedo cable from the hub, I disconnected it from the speedo along with disconnecting the brake cable from the lever. After that the two parts just seperate. I didn't replace the drum I just cleaned it up after disassembling the whole thing. Spent about an hour with the sandpaper getting the rust as cleaned off as I could (13 years sitting in not the best of conditions). Then about 6 months later I took it apart again, broke the glaze with sandpaper again and put in new shoes again is it's been good since then.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online