How do out of country licenses work in the UK?

Spraguepsycho1
This post is 5640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was just wondering about this because I'm licensed to ride any motorcycle in the US. Lets say I came to the UK, and wanted to buy or rent a bike to tour the UK, Ireland, and Scottland on. Would I be able to buy/rent any bike over there like I could here in the US and ride it legally using my current US license, or would I be limited legally on my choices? I know with a car license it should be valid to drive any car in any country worldwide, but I don't know if it would be the same for a bike since you have the graduated license system over there.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As far as i know your licence should be ok as a visitor but if you're staying longer than 6 months you may have to exchange your full licence for a full British licence.

I was just wondering about this because I'm licensed to ride any motorcycle in the US. Lets say I came to the UK, and wanted to buy or rent a bike to tour the UK, Ireland, and Scottland on. Would I be able to buy/rent any bike over there like I could here in the US and ride it legally using my current US license, or would I be limited legally on my choices? I know with a car license it should be valid to drive any car in any country worldwide, but I don't know if it would be the same for a bike since you have the graduated license system over there.

Hi'

I'm not sure if the UK & US agreement with regard to entitlement to drive, renting a bike in the UK may have problems they may need a UK credit check .. as a person from else where you may fail. The Purchase may not be so bad £'s count ! but you will need to have insurance in order to licence the bike, If you have the ability to do that go for it and do the UK tour then sell the bike on to a man in the pub !!! :blink: If you manage it come down to Worcs and we will have a beer !

Regards Jim

As far as i know your licence should be ok as a visitor but if you're staying longer than 6 months you may have to exchange your full licence for a full British licence.

That's the way I heard it ;)

Yeah I actually found a link to the motor vehicles website in another post after I asked this, and found I'd be legal to operate any vehicle over there (other than a commerial semi truck and trailer unless I drove it into the country) that I am legal to use over here for up to 12 months. I was just curious about this because my wife may be transfering to the Gobal division of the company where she works, which means we may be doing some travelling within the next few years. I figure if we came over trhere for long enough for it to be worth it, I would just try to buy a clean used FZX 750, since it would be identical to my Fazer that I ride over here, then could either sell it before comming back home or ship it back, if I found a way that was reasonably priced. Thanks