DT 100 Ignition switch

ktom300
This post is 5627 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I picked up a 77 DT100 from a friend and he estimates it hasn't run in 15 years. To make matters worse, someone lost the key at some point and attempted to hot wire it and threw away the switch.

Seems complete and I'm interested in fixing it up but I'd like to hear it run before I spend any $ on it.

Can anyone tell me how to connect the ignition wires so it will get spark? It has four wires red, black, brown, and black/white.

Which wires have to be connected in order to turn it to on?

Thanks,

Tom

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I picked up a 77 DT100 from a friend and he estimates it hasn't run in 15 years. To make matters worse, someone lost the key at some point and attempted to hot wire it and threw away the switch.

Seems complete and I'm interested in fixing it up but I'd like to hear it run before I spend any $ on it.

Can anyone tell me how to connect the ignition wires so it will get spark? It has four wires red, black, brown, and black/white.

Thanks,

Tom

Mornin Tom, (well it is for me),

Try Red to black, If i remember correctly that used to do it,

Good luck, Mark.

Mornin Tom, (well it is for me),

Try Red to black, If i remember correctly that used to do it,

Good luck, Mark.

WAIT And if it were a battery ignition system, you would be right, but some of these small 2 strokes are magneto ignition systems. You can tell by looking at the LT wires to the coil 1 = magneto system 2 = battery ignition system

If its a magneto system and you connect Red to Black, BANG goes your fuse , you just connected battery + to chassis!!

so ...if its a magneto system, ie 1 wire to the coil it should run with the ignition switch disconnected, yes it sounds daft i know but with the ignition key in the off position there is any easier route for the electrickery to flow and that is down to ground, This is how the key off position stops the engine. so disconnecting the switch means this cannot happen!

If it does run without the switch, you will need a functioning kill switch to stop it, unless of course you re fit a key switch. Also the lights indicators neutral lamp etc wont work until the key switch is fitted

Thanks,

Tom

On the 1976 and older DT 100's you can just unplug the ignition switch and the bike will run. Not sure about the 77.

• 2 weeks later...

On the 1976 and older DT 100's you can just unplug the ignition switch and the bike will run. Not sure about the 77.

Thanks for the feedback here. Bike runs now and starts first kick no matter what. ODO says 376 original miles!

Next question is with regard to the oil injection system. The headlight is off and the rats nest of wiring was mostly unplugged. I tried to match stuff up by color but the bike didn't want to keep running so I unhooked everything.

Is the injection system 100% mechanical or is there anything electrical that would prevent the bike from getting oil from the injection reservoir?

Is the electrical system smart enough to shut the bike off when it's out of oil?

The reason I ask is because when I got the bike, brown and black/white were twisted together from the ignition. This caused the oil light to come on. Anyone have a scanned wiring diagram? thanks!!!

Thanks,

Tom

i think u will find its red to yellow for ignition sometimes the yellow may b blue the tuch the black till it starts then remove it get some fuseies first then try good luck

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online