New rider needs advice about gear shifting (embarrassing)

amy1941
This post is 7309 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So, I just bought my 96 virago 250 yesterday and I'm having issues shifting to second gear. When I shift, there is a 15 second delay of the engine responding to the throttle. I give it gas and it doesn't go, then 15 seconds later it like takes off!! What am I doing wrong??? Could it be the jets or the fuel pump?

Also, I'm looking for patient people to ride with. I'm in the bay area. Anyone sympathetic to a new rider??

I need help!!! I feel so stupid...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi, yeah it could be the pilot jets blocked up a bit. has the bike been out of use for quite a while? petrol can 'go off' and gum up the carburetors. the xj600 i just bought is a fine example of this. cleaned out the carbs and all was good 8) another thing......you arent changing up too early are you? just that you're new to bikes an all. might wanna try new spark plugs in it too

you mean shifting to second too early?? Maybe, I don't think so though...The bike only likes to go 15mph in first gear before it starts to complain.

Yeah, the guy I bought it from hasn't riden it for years (I assume, because it's a 96 and it only has 1,700 miles...)

So, I should change the jets? So don't know how to do that....ha ha, wow, I really have no idea what I'm doing!

you could just change the jets yes, but it'll be cheaper to clean them all out. get a manual for the bike, strip the carburetors, checking where everything goes and the condition they are in, and soak the jets in carb cleaner or suchlikes. i have used vinegar with good results :D make sure all the little holes in the jets are free from obstruction, debris etc... and rebuild the carbs to the spec in the manual. you might want to check the diaphrams of the carbs too. make sure there arent any holes/rips in them. once done, and everything back together you should get them balanced. jeez, i'm confusing myself now :lol: any bike shops close to you?

Yeah, I actually work at a bike shop. Only problem is, it's up at the top of this really really windy road (it'll be SO much fun to ride on once I'm ready, but I'm not yet). So, I can't get the bike up there just yet and I really want to learn how to work on my own bike. I don't want to be one of those riders that has to take their bike into a shop to get the oil checked!! You know what I mean?

Plus, I'm a girl, and I kind of feel like I have to prove myself somehow, and knowing how to work on my own bike would be a good start.

cool 8) good on you! there's plenty of help here if/when you need it. i'm by no means a bike genius but i'll do my best, and i'm sure the others will too. bit of advise....if you have a problem with your bike, try the easy,simple, things first. eg try a new set of plugs in your bike, try giving it a damn good run etc.. leave having to strip the carbs till last. there's a chance it might not be that

No matter what the gender might be.........Doing your own wrench work is quite self-satisfying :wink: 8)

• Admin

Yep always try and do everything yourself, as you never know when you may be the only one present :roll: