carbs taking no petrol...

2enjoi2
This post is 5652 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive opend up an old rust bucket, im almost done and just opend the carbs to check there ok, but they wont take any fuel into the chambers. ive tried airguning them, leaving them in wd40 to soak over night and thorough cleaning. maybe im doing it wrong.

any tips on how to clean carbs? are u ment to clean them a certain way?

cheers for any advice

david

oh and just to be honest, its not a yamaha lol, its a 78 cb400. but i own a r6 so this isnt like, cheating or anything lol.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dont understand your statement "wont take any fuel into the chambers" , can you clarify?

so would that be a 400 - 4,

sorry, where the floats are. the petrol wont get in. so i took it apart and it was a bit messy so i cleaned it. but now the petrol stil wont go into the carbs.

have you got a good flow of fuel if you pull off the feed pipe from your carbs?

well. ive got the carbs on the desk in the shed. ive taken the float bowl off and were using wires and anything we can find to poke the holes where the float needle sits, hopeing we can dislodge watevers preventing fuel coming from the fuel line inlet. liquid and air flow freely between the fuel line joint. im guessing ( as its been stood still for 10 years +) its got congealed oil in it somehow. btu without taking the carbs apart completely i wont know. and that is way beyond my capabilities.

so in answer to your question. theres no good flow of fuel anywhere apart form the fuel line joint between the two float bowls. but i really am stuck now.

well. ive got the carbs on the desk in the shed. ive taken the float bowl off and were using wires and anything we can find to poke the holes where the float needle sits, hopeing we can dislodge watevers preventing fuel coming from the fuel line inlet. liquid and air flow freely between the fuel line joint. im guessing ( as its been stood still for 10 years +) its got congealed oil in it somehow. btu without taking the carbs apart completely i wont know. and that is way beyond my capabilities.

so in answer to your question. theres no good flow of fuel anywhere apart form the fuel line joint between the two float bowls. but i really am stuck now.

Theres no short cuts here, you either get stuck in or you give the job to someone else, if you PM me your email I will send you something about cleaning carbs, in particlar CB400F carbs. I'm still none the wiser about your answer about a good supply of fuel from the tap to the carbs. This is important before you start looking for carbs at fault.

Theres no short cuts here, you either get stuck in or you give the job to someone else, if you PM me your email I will send you something about cleaning carbs, in particlar CB400F carbs. I'm still none the wiser about your answer about a good supply of fuel from the tap to the carbs. This is important before you start looking for carbs at fault.

its fixed now. washed it with some limescale remover i found under the sink. and after that it was good to go. put it back on the bike, took the silencer off and with a good lump of choke to start got it running on idle within 2 or 3 mins. first time ina decaade!! its a testament to honda build quality, seen as its been in garden down the road from me coverd in moss for over ten years.

but as with everything, another problem came to our attention when we tried to put it in gear and it stalled! lol. we're now in the process of trying to get the clutch plates to running order.

not bad tho considering me and my dad are working on this alone using his own 'trial and error' knowlege of motorcycles he stoped riding 20 years ago. the akward part will be registering it and getting it back on the road, i recon. it has no v5 or any history. im praying it was never a stolen bike. that would put a spaner in the works!

cheers for trying to help tho. my mechanical vocab needs some brushing up to make it easier for those who try to help i spose lol.

ride safe

Clutch

Try a running start or bump start , you will need a clear space though, once moving pull the clutch lever in and keep applying brakes it may free the clutch if not its a strip down job i am afraid

Merv

Clutch

Try a running start or bump start , you will need a clear space though, once moving pull the clutch lever in and keep applying brakes it may free the clutch if not its a strip down job i am afraid

Merv

it was the plates, they were just a bit used to doing nothing! lol. pulled the lever in and gently forced them loose by walking it back and forth in the shed. took a while but did the trick. now its only fireing on one cyliner lol! well, i think it is, it rides, but stalls at idle. and when you ride it for more than a minute the left downpipe glows bright red.

cheers for the advice tho.

david

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online