Tubes in tubeless tyres

rikernumber1
This post is 5670 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All,

I'm posting this following a discussion on the Yahoo! Radian group (so some people will already have seen this).

I've just had tubes put in my tyres. They were constantly losing pressure - got even worse in the cold weather, to the point they lost about 1/3 pressure inside a couple of days. There were no obvious defects or leaks from the valves or rims (and it was both tyres) - tried the soapy water trick and new valves and no joy. As a result, I've had tubes put in the tyres - and some folks are saying it's a bad idea because of the fact that the tubes will heat up quicker than the tyres.

Anyone got any wisdom/experience to share on this?

TIA

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the issue of using tubes is that under acceleration it is possible for the tubes to slip round putting increased stress around the valva area of the tube until it eventuall gets to a stage where you could suffere a tube failure, rapidly deflating the tyre.

I think the issue of using tubes is that under acceleration it is possible for the tubes to slip round putting increased stress around the valva area of the tube until it eventuall gets to a stage where you could suffere a tube failure, rapidly deflating the tyre.

That's a fair point, it's very pertinent for off-road bikes as we use much higher torque at the rear wheel - difference being that we use rim locks to secure the tyre to the rim and the tyre's are such that they run flat anyway.

However, road rubber has very little linear grip in comparison - so if the bead is secure it's unlikely to be a real problem as the wheel will spin on the road before breaking the bead.

Then again, if you ride smooth and gentle it may never be a problem.

What did the tyre dealer say ? they are best placed to give the advice you need, after all it's thier liability insurance......

It is not something that I would advise. Any tyre slippage is going to cause a problem with the tube. I feel that the injection of sealing compound might have been a better idea.

Tyres will lose a bit of pressure when the air temperature drops as well as when cold. Also do you use the same pressure gauge to check them?

If the rims are cast then it is possible that they are porous and will lose air. This seems to be the most likely candidate to your problem. Coat the inside of the rims in a paint or lacquer to seal them.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online