1990 RXS100 - Under powered?

Twincam
This post is 5424 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Let me introduce myself - My name is Hasan and I'm from the East End of London.

I've got two RXS100 (the '88 one is my spares bucket and the '90 is the daily runner) but I seem to be having slightly problems with power...

Now I know these machines are not built for speed, but Ive read of people doing at least 75 whilst mine struggles at 65-68 (even with my head down)... Ive pulled the whole exhaust off, cleaned the baffle and ran some injector cleaner to help with the jets, but I still can't get power I want from her.

Also, the power band doesnt kick in until 5000 revs, is that normal? Can you think of anything for me to check which might help?

She has the usual other RXS symptons for example the Front Forks can get very soft under heavy braking, the Oil light flickers and will remain on when the two stroke tank is half empty and also the weak 6 volt electrics... :(

Look forward to your replies,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Hasan, My DT175MX has all those little problems too, max 65- 70mph, 6 volt electrics and like yours a fully functioning oil level light, And....I love it!

As for doing 75 on one of these, I say...Dont believe all you read!

Thansk for the reply...

So even with 75cc less I'm still getting around about the same! *scratches head*

Also, people say they can wheelie... Is that also a myth? I would love it to be true but even red-lining it I cannot get the front up in any way shape or form (not on the road by the way :D)

Thansk for the reply...

So even with 75cc less I'm still getting around about the same! *scratches head*

Also, people say they can wheelie... Is that also a myth? I would love it to be true but even red-lining it I cannot get the front up in any way shape or form (not on the road by the way :D)

You can wheelie almost anything if you give it enough revs sit well back and dump the clutch in first gear, but it will only impress the very young :D

And if you dont get it right you may end up sat in the road minus bike, but hey nothing ventured nothing gained eh!

**I cannot be held responsible for any action taken after this message has been read**

You can wheelie almost anything if you give it enough revs sit well back and dump the clutch in first gear, but it will only impress the very young :D

And if you dont get it right you may end up sat in the road minus bike, but hey nothing ventured nothing gained eh!

Its not that I want to wheelie (Ive got the blade for that), its just I would like to have the power in order to wheelie if I ever needed to (not sure when but sounded right :unsure: )

Might have to weld a 12 O'clock bar and some engine crash bars, add some renthals and see what I can get :D

• 1 month later...

hi, those speeds you quoted that you can get are about right. i get about 67 max tucked in behind a car, but

i have had 72 out of it down hill with the engine screaming.....dont try it as the bike felt like it was about to

fall apart or explode

• 3 months later...

I got 72 ou of my rxs on sunday on a slight down hill. I also pulled a wheelie by accident today scared me shitless...

I would really like some more power out of her but I don't know how :(

• 3 months later...

I got 72 ou of my rxs on sunday on a slight down hill. I also pulled a wheelie by accident today scared me shitless...

I would really like some more power out of her but I don't know how :(

me and a mate had 2 rxs a few years back,and from memory showed almost 80 on the clock,bothwere rejetted and running gianelli pipes

and im thinking of buying another if i can find one

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online