xs400 low beams stopped working, engine cutting during idle after short distance.

Prototrooper
This post is 5648 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Battery is drained afterwards.

Even in motion, when I pop the clutch to get fire again... no turnover.

<Checked fuses, they check out>

What should I check and in what order?

Thanks!

-J

Sounds like the charging system is knackered. Start out by fully charging the battery, then with the RPM at 3000 check voltage at the battery, if it's not 14.5 volts or very close you have a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got to disassemble and I come to 2 conclusions.

The low beam is shot on the headlight.

My engine had vibrated my carb holder bolts loose and was losing vacuum.

Upon further inspection, I took off my sprocket side cover and noticed an oil leak from the oil sensor. leaking oil made its way into my stator wire and ate away at the braided insulated wires. I removed and replaced with a similar gauged wire , soldered, and then heatshrinked individually as well as with a final tube.

In the same area I noticed that I had slack in my chain, but yet my tensioners were fully used. What could be causing this?

Thanks for reading.

Well I got to disassemble and I come to 2 conclusions.

The low beam is shot on the headlight.

My engine had vibrated my carb holder bolts loose and was losing vacuum.

get the carbs balanced they don't vibrate that much

Upon further inspection, I took off my sprocket side cover and noticed an oil leak from the oil sensor. leaking oil made its way into my stator wire and ate away at the braided insulated wires. I removed and replaced with a similar gauged wire , soldered, and then heatshrinked individually as well as with a final tube.

In the same area I noticed that I had slack in my chain, but yet my tensioners were fully used. What could be causing this?

Thanks for reading.

do you mean the starter motor chain?

Assuming your reffering to the drive chain........I'd say it's time for a replacement. :unsure:

During the life of a chain on my bike, I end up shortening it by 1 link (when the tensioners are bottomed out) just to prolong it's life a little bit more. ;)

Assuming your reffering to the drive chain........I'd say it's time for a replacement. :unsure:

During the life of a chain on my bike, I end up shortening it by 1 link (when the tensioners are bottomed out) just to prolong it's life a little bit more. ;)

.....but if the chain snaps, bye bye engine case.

got a mate with a CBX1000 and his snapped (luckily from standstill) and he doesn't gun it (wussie)

yes, I am referring to the drive chain.

So it is the chain stretching and it is know for doing that?

if you don't look after it , yes. It needs cleaning and oiling regulary.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online