Poor Performance at low speed (FZR600)

peatandyman
This post is 5688 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just bought a cheap FZR600 (1990) after passing my test last month and I could do with some advice please.

Below 4000 revs the bike seems to stutter. I have cleaned the carbs, and the fuel tap (will replace the fuel filter this weekend). The guy i bought it off said it had stood for a while!! It has no problem starting and idling.

It does have a race can on (Art pro series 2) could the problem be the carbs need rejetting if so what size? Or could it be valve clearances or something simple like plugs?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just bought a cheap FZR600 (1990) after passing my test last month and I could do with some advice please.

Below 4000 revs the bike seems to stutter. I have cleaned the carbs, and the fuel tap (will replace the fuel filter this weekend). The guy i bought it off said it had stood for a while!! It has no problem starting and idling.

It does have a race can on (Art pro series 2) could the problem be the carbs need rejetting if so what size? Or could it be valve clearances or something simple like plugs?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

hi m8 try having the carbs blanced mine is the same will get mine done if i dont get it sold ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

cheers mate i will look into getting the carbs balanced!!

Hi there,

dependant on milage you may want to have the valve clearences checked and cam chain adjusted before you have the carbs balanced, when you have the carbs done get them to run over the mixture settings also, if you read the Yamaha service specs the mixture is 'preset' but with age they will need looking at. I could do it for you but as I'm in South Worcestershire it's a long way to come

Regards Jim

Hi there,

dependant on milage you may want to have the valve clearences checked and cam chain adjusted before you have the carbs balanced, when you have the carbs done get them to run over the mixture settings also, if you read the Yamaha service specs the mixture is 'preset' but with age they will need looking at. I could do it for you but as I'm in South Worcestershire it's a long way to come

Regards Jim

Sorry for the delay in answering. Cheers for the offer Jim. The speedo says 14000 miles!! I will check out the valve clearances etc this week and see what happens. If all is good I will then get the carbs done.

If all fails I may take you up on your offer!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online