Hello :)

Dufferz
This post is 5679 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, my name is Sam.. Surname is Duff, hence Dufferz :D haha.

I've lurked this site as a guest for an hour or so, and I have decided it would be worth my while the become a member :)

I've recently passed my CBT (I'm only 16 :) so I'm restricted to 50cc's :( )

105856q.jpg

My bike, a Yamaha DT50MX, 1984.. 16 previous owners. A few of these defonately need a head check!

One of them stuck some of the electrics together with tinfoil and sellotape.. not electrical tape and solder/clippy things that I forget the name of.

As you can see, theres lots of things that I need to do, involving rust unfortunately >:(

Well, I don't want to keep you all reading for too long, so I better end the topic here ;)

Sam.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello and welcome,

Brings back memories that piccy, 1st bike I ever rode, was my cousins and the kick start had snapped off, so starting procedure was: select 1st gear, hold in clutch, push down road til sufficient speed reached, jump on, rev, drop clutch, pull in clutch keep revving to stop it conking out again.

All went well except i forgot the pull in clutch bit.

1st ride, 1st wheelie, 1st off all in 1 go lol

Happy days!!

Mike

Hello and welcome,

Brings back memories that piccy, 1st bike I ever rode, was my cousins and the kick start had snapped off, so starting procedure was: select 1st gear, hold in clutch, push down road til sufficient speed reached, jump on, rev, drop clutch, pull in clutch keep revving to stop it conking out again.

All went well except i forgot the pull in clutch bit.

1st ride, 1st wheelie, 1st off all in 1 go lol

Happy days!!

Mike

i tried bump starting once :mellow: i got to the jumping on bit. Need i say more? :(

And if anyone wants to know whats wrong...

picture5tj9.jpg

picture2wb0.jpg

Need I say more? :mellow:

Hi Sam welcome to the forum. Good luch with the little DT, makes a refreshing change from scooters IMO ;)

It's a lovely little bike, very pokey :mellow:

Just need to wait a few days for a new bore kit, and a piston set.. Whilst im doing that, i suppose I had better look for the parts inside the engine .. :huh:

As for the scooters.. Too right... There was a big gang of idiots plowing around my town yesterday, infact, its a bit of a pain cause I hear them at night :( (i do need my beauty sleep ;) )

so you have ridden it then, pokey indeed :D , how did the piston destruction happen?

No idea at all.. Not a dicky bird; was just pulling out of a T junction and it died, my friend tried kickstarting and bumpstarting it for at least an hour, ignoring my plea's of "NO STOP YOU FAGG0T"

Wrong answer!, try to find a reason before fitting a new piston, hows the bore? or the same might happen again, it didnt happen for no reason, i want you to love your dt :love-struct: not hate it :icon_evil:

I dont know anything about bikes unfortunately.. :( but the bores fucked too, so im buying a new one (don't know the name for it :icon_evil:)

However. I love my DT :)

Edit: Since I got the bike, its always had pretty bad compression, so it was probably the previous owner. Either way, I have ordered new bits :)

I dont know anything about bikes unfortunately.. :( but the bores fucked too, so im buying a new one (don't know the name for it :icon_evil:)

However. I love my DT :)

Edit: Since I got the bike, its always had pretty bad compression, so it was probably the previous owner. Either way, I have ordered new bits :)

Are you getting a re-bore done then?

Are you getting a re-bore done then?

I was going to, but there's nowhere around here that does re-boring..

So im just going to buy a whole new what's-it-called

I was going to, but there's nowhere around here that does re-boring..

So im just going to buy a whole new what's-it-called

Ifs called a cylinder, or English slang... a barrel, or American slang ... a jug. If you take it into any good bike shop, they will no doubt be able to get it re bored for you, have you looked at prices for new barrel v's rebore?

Ifs called a cylinder, or English slang... a barrel, or American slang ... a jug. If you take it into any good bike shop, they will no doubt be able to get it re bored for you, have you looked at prices for new barrel v's rebore?

I've phoned all of the shops around my area, and theres nowhere that can re bore around here.. I'm just buying a new piston kit and barrel then.

ive never heard anything so daft as that, how much are you going to pay for a barrel then? if the lazy bas**rd shops in your area cant get it fixed, then go directly to the engineering workshops, find out the original size of the bore and get the damage bored out, oversize pistons usually come in +.25mm increments.

£70 for everything. The longer I can't ride the bike, the more time I miss off of college; its just faster this way.

I ordered the parts yesterday morning, and they are overnight delivery, so I might be back on the road by Monday

Going to bed now, Goodnight; and Thanks a lot for the warm welcome + advice! :)

ok then £70 sounds good to mee too, but dont throw away your old barrel, do the homework, find out who will rebore it! One other thing is youre in a rush to fix this bike but what caused the problem, seizures are caused by several things but usually these thing cause severe over heating, you should check you auto lube pump is working and the cable hasnt come adrift, also a plug chop would be a good idea when its done, but thats difficult after a rebore because you will have to run it in for a while.

Back again, i'm defonately going to have the barrel re-bored, so that if I don't catch the problem (I will chech everything you mentioned) I have a backup for a little while.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online