YBR mileage issues and didgy starter

spainy
This post is 5355 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Please can someone help me here, I keep reading that the bike can do over 400kms on a full tank. I bought mine a week ago, used with 8500kms on it, seems in very good condition however Im only getting about 240kms to a tank, is that very low??

There is no way I get anywhere near the quoted figures and want to know if there is something wrong with the bike and can it be fixed?

Hi by the way, my first post, newby to this I had a Jinlun 125-11 before this but had so many problems with it the Yahama seems like a Ferrari to drive compared to it(exaggeration I know but you should have driven the Jinlun!)

Please let me know asap!

p.s. also having some ignition problems in the last few days, its very hit and miss when turning it over as to whether its going start or not and have had to use the kick start a few times.

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Please can someone help me here, I keep reading that the bike can do over 400kms on a full tank. I bought mine a week ago, used with 8500kms on it, seems in very good condition however Im only getting about 240kms to a tank, is that very low??

There is no way I get anywhere near the quoted figures and want to know if there is something wrong with the bike and can it be fixed?

Hi by the way, my first post, newby to this I had a Jinlun 125-11 before this but had so many problems with it the Yahama seems like a Ferrari to drive compared to it(exaggeration I know but you should have driven the Jinlun!)

Please let me know asap!

p.s. also having some ignition problems in the last few days, its very hit and miss when turning it over as to whether its going start or not and have had to use the kick start a few times.

Thanks!

have you serviced the bike ? without more background info it's difficult to diagnose your problem. ok 20 km/l is a bit below the 33 km/l that most people get (396 km per 12 l - the tank range). so if the engine is requiring a service this could account for your bad fuel consumption, or the previous owner may have altered the engine trying to obtain better performance who knows .... you need to supply more history !

Regards Jim

have you serviced the bike ? without more background info it's difficult to diagnose your problem. ok 20 km/l is a bit below the 33 km/l that most people get (396 km per 12 l - the tank range). so if the engine is requiring a service this could account for your bad fuel consumption, or the previous owner may have altered the engine trying to obtain better performance who knows .... you need to supply more history !

Regards Jim

Hi Jim,

thanks for the reply . To be honest there is not a lot more I can say. The bike seems in excellent condition, low mileage and the last owner only had the bike around 6 months to do his test on. I can ask him the qestion but it doesn´t seem to have wads of power so I think it´s doubtful that anything has been done to it.

To give you an example I completely filled the bike yesterday, have done 115kms on the bike and its now nearly down to half the tank already.That should be nearly 200kms.

What type of things should I ask or look for?

Hi Jim,

thanks for the reply . To be honest there is not a lot more I can say. The bike seems in excellent condition, low mileage and the last owner only had the bike around 6 months to do his test on. I can ask him the qestion but it doesn´t seem to have wads of power so I think it´s doubtful that anything has been done to it.

To give you an example I completely filled the bike yesterday, have done 115kms on the bike and its now nearly down to half the tank already.That should be nearly 200kms.

What type of things should I ask or look for?

Well the fisrt thing to do is adjust the valve clearences, change the oil & filter, check the cam chain and fit a new spark plug. Is you bike fuel injection or does it have a carb ?

regards Jim

Well the fisrt thing to do is adjust the valve clearences, change the oil & filter, check the cam chain and fit a new spark plug. Is you bike fuel injection or does it have a carb ?

regards Jim

Oh god, I was afraid that you would get all technical on me.

Any do it yourself guides on this forum?

How would I know whether it is carb or injection?

By the way it is due a service in about 600kms, didnt answer that first time round.

Cheers

How would I know whether it is carb or injection?

If it's the 2007 or 2008 model it's more than likely fuel injected... but the best way to check is to look for a fuel tap (a reserve tank switch) - if it has one, it's a carb model more than likely... as pointed out to me in another thread, fuel injection models rarely have fuel taps.

HI there

thanks again for the reply.

It's a 2006 model and has the tap so it must be a carb version then.

What relation would that have to the fuel consumption?

I have filled her again and driven sensibly going to 8k revs max in top gear instead of at 9k revs like I normally drive to see if there would be any difference and I might get 10-20kms extra out of her over the tank but that means i'm still down at least 140kms a tank which to me seems very excessive.

As for the suggestions made earlier are there any guides to carrying them out as I am not in the least mechanically minded. :mellow:

HI there

thanks again for the reply.

It's a 2006 model and has the tap so it must be a carb version then.

What relation would that have to the fuel consumption?

I have filled her again and driven sensibly going to 8k revs max in top gear instead of at 9k revs like I normally drive to see if there would be any difference and I might get 10-20kms extra out of her over the tank but that means i'm still down at least 140kms a tank which to me seems very excessive.

As for the suggestions made earlier are there any guides to carrying them out as I am not in the least mechanically minded. :mellow:

Working out whether its injected or carb inducted makes a difference on what to do to fix the problem injected=computer problems carb= loads of things to check. FI (fuel injection) is normally ok but if it goes wrong expensive to fix (I'm not to used to YBR .. most have a light come on when the FI plays up & gives you a code as to what is wrong E.G. oxygen sensor, Carbs are a bit old style you may need to strip the carb down to check the jets are still in place and various air intakes are clear. but you do need to know which induction system you have.

Regards Jim

Working out whether its injected or carb inducted makes a difference on what to do to fix the problem injected=computer problems carb= loads of things to check. FI (fuel injection) is normally ok but if it goes wrong expensive to fix (I'm not to used to YBR .. most have a light come on when the FI plays up & gives you a code as to what is wrong E.G. oxygen sensor, Carbs are a bit old style you may need to strip the carb down to check the jets are still in place and various air intakes are clear. but you do need to know which induction system you have.

Regards Jim

2006 ybr125 is defo carb.

Either the air filter is too dusty (get it out and wash it thorougly with petrol and then rince in with a litle engine oil -a tea spoon- so that dust is sticking on it)

or the mixture is too rich (unplug the sparkplug and look at the colour. It should be moca brown not black nor white)

or the valves clearance is wrong (if you aren't used to engine work, you cann't set them by your self othrwise it is not very dificult)

I don´t know if this wil make a difference to my consumption but my idle sits at around 2 rpm when the bike is warm.

I was going to get the bike serviced shortly as its nearly on 10k and ask them to look at what has been suggested here, however when I looked in the booklet that comes with the bike it says service at 6 and 12k kms, which is correct, at 10000kms or 12000kms?

I hardly want to be paying for a service that isnt needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Have managed to get the mileage upto about 270kms on 10 litres, which is a tad better, however the mileage being quoted as 400kms plus on a tank, is that including the reserve tank? As mine only holds 10 litres in the normal tank with the 2 in reserve whereas I am seeing tanks with 12 litres being quoted.

Thanks

1) however the mileage being quoted as 400kms plus on a tank, is that including the reserve tank?

No!

2) I don´t know if this wil make a difference to my consumption but my idle sits at around 2 rpm when the bike is warm.

It sure makes a difference in the consumption. Lower it down to 1100-1200revs/min when warm.

3) which is correct, at 10000kms or 12000kms?

The booklet suggests 6.000KM intervals. If you do it earlier, good for your bike - bad for your wallet. I checked the valve clearance at 12.000KM on mine and it was OK. I think that even at the next "pit stop" it will be the same. It's a very good engine.

1) however the mileage being quoted as 400kms plus on a tank, is that including the reserve tank?

No!

2) I don´t know if this wil make a difference to my consumption but my idle sits at around 2 rpm when the bike is warm.

It sure makes a difference in the consumption. Lower it down to 1100-1200revs/min when warm.

3) which is correct, at 10000kms or 12000kms?

The booklet suggests 6.000KM intervals. If you do it earlier, good for your bike - bad for your wallet. I checked the valve clearance at 12.000KM on mine and it was OK. I think that even at the next "pit stop" it will be the same. It's a very good engine.

So with regards to the service which was done at 5k´s, at 11k´s it needs doing now, correct? I haven´t got a clue what valve clearance is so will need to go to the mechanics anyway.

Regards the idle, I lowered it and on this tankful have got nearly 290kms out of 10 litres, but I still can´t see how people get 400ks on 10 litres, its seems impossible.

So with regards to the service which was done at 5k´s, at 11k´s it needs doing now, correct? I haven´t got a clue what valve clearance is so will need to go to the mechanics anyway.

Regards the idle, I lowered it and on this tankful have got nearly 290kms out of 10 litres, but I still can´t see how people get 400ks on 10 litres, its seems impossible.

well do you rev the nuts out of the bike ? this will have connotations on the fuel consumption, revving the motor freely through the gears will be detrimental to the fuel consumption as changing up early (will not perform so well) but produce better fuel economy. With regards to Valve clearence small motors need to be checked more often than larger ones as they tend to be revved more often and I guess (reading this thread) you give the bike full power the whole time which will give lower fuel consumption

regards Jim

the qouted mileage to a tank is done on a rolling road so..

my ybr could get 150 miles out of £8, before reserve. that was with me driving every gear to the red line.

Its not common to find a YBR that has been modified, there isnt really any modification parts in the market for this bike.

The 2006 bike is not fuel injected.

If the bike doesnt start 1st time or whatever, check the rubber cover over the spark plug to make sure it is connected properly, just push it down, you will probally resolve that issue.

My ybr gave me alot better milage compared to my 600, dont complain you are getting good milage out of your tank!

the qouted mileage to a tank is done on a rolling road so..

my ybr could get 150 miles out of £8, before reserve. that was with me driving every gear to the red line.

Its not common to find a YBR that has been modified, there isnt really any modification parts in the market for this bike.

The 2006 bike is not fuel injected.

If the bike doesnt start 1st time or whatever, check the rubber cover over the spark plug to make sure it is connected properly, just push it down, you will probally resolve that issue.

My ybr gave me alot better milage compared to my 600, dont complain you are getting good milage out of your tank!

so I guess the way the bike is ridden makes no difference to its fuel economy? where did this thread really mention mods to the bike ? The 2006 bike for which market is not fuel injected, could you confirm that all bikes that ran off the production line had carbs on ? This thread didnt show a starting issue just a fuel economy so I guess the plug cap lower rubber would make no difference. I would guess a 125 sohc single would give better fuel economy than a 600. At which point did you get 150m/£8 if at the high price point of fuel that would give 65 mpg this bike is less than the bike in question. if the consumption is advertised as so it should get some where near. Can you please tell me who's rolloing road the figures are obtained from ? and can you confirm what loads where effected to the rollers in order to obtain the figures.

it doesn´t seem to have wads of power so I think it´s doubtful that anything has been done to it.
ie. mods.

s. also having some ignition problems in the last few days, its very hit and miss when turning it over as to whether its going start or not
ie. spark plugs ( had a similar problem )

i said that it is better than my 600cc, in a sence, enjoy having very good fuel economy compared to a bigger bike

The 2006 bike for which market is not fuel injected, could you confirm that all bikes that ran off the production line had carbs on ?
sorry what?

i have a 2006 ybr and i no it isnt fuel injected, i also am good friends with my local yammy dealer.

Can you please tell me who's rolloing road the figures are obtained from ?
go and find out ;)

also the bike bhp is not always what it is proclaimed to be, becuase the it is meassured at the crank so its always abit less than proclaimed, get the idea

Bloody hell didnt mean to start an argument :blink:

The service is due now so I will update once it´s been done to see if there is any difference in mileage.

yes I do drive mostly at 8000rpms all the time (in fifth)as it´s all motorway driving , I don´t fully accelerate to 9000rpms, I always keep it around 8000rpms.

The starter problem seems to have mostly gone now, however now and again it will just die whilst driving (mostly when cold) but if I fiddle with the key it starts again fine. I did check the plugs when it first started happening but they were fine, it seems to be a faulty contact with the key problem.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online