ybr125 keeps missing gears

smudge08
This post is 5676 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive just bought a 08 yamaha ybr125, ive had it for a week and only done 300 miles on it? however when im stopping and going down the gears it seems to be missing them? ie when i pulled up outside my house and went from 3rd to 1st then neutral it just wouldnt go in to it, and went straight to 4th then wouldnt go back down......some help would be very greatful as this is my first bike and im not to sure

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am also new and have to confess that I have also been having the same problem. I was stuck in 2nd wouldn't knock down to neutral! Eventually with a bit of clutch work it does move - I agree with "ogoab" that the newness is the cause as mechanically it is erm...new!! ;)

Listen to "oldgit" he is the bike guru!! :D

Yeah mines done that a couple of times also. I just thought I'd misplaced my foot!! Being new and that! :paci: . Think again it might just be the newness. We need the wisdom of "Oldgit" he will put us on the path of enlightment... :hail:

Guys, I have seen several post over gearchange problems with this bike, myself I think they will get better as more miles are done, but i can say that lots of inexperienced riders just seem to clunk through the gears when changing down to lower gears, my daughter does this and it makes me cringe!!

If you think about it as you change down and let your clutch out...the engine revs increase, so pull the clutch and give a little blip on the throttlle while its pulled (just a quick blip mind) and at the same time knock it down a gear, you will find your down shifting is much much smoother and the dreaded 'Clunk' will be gone!

(Only do this when down shifting)

Have a look at this post Here, Theres quite a bit on the subject there. ;)

Guys, I have seen several post over gearchange problems with this bike, myself I think they will get better as more miles are done, but i can say that lots of inexperienced riders just seem to clunk through the gears when changing down to lower gears, my daughter does this and it makes me cringe!!

If you think about it as you change down and let your clutch out...the engine revs increase, so pull the clutch and give a little blip on the throttlle while its pulled (just a quick blip mind) and at the same time knock it down a gear, you will find your down shifting is much much smoother and the dreaded 'Clunk' will be gone!

(Only do this when down shifting)

Have a look at this post Here, Theres quite a bit on the subject there. ;)

TOLD YOU SO!!!

Helpful as always... :icon_biggrin:

thankyou for the advice everyone!!! had a look at the other posts like you said oldgitonabike and will take on board what others have said and put them into practice and let others know how i got on?? hopefully i can carry on enjoying my bike without too many further problems!

I am also new and have to confess that I have also been having the same problem. I was stuck in 2nd wouldn't knock down to neutral! Eventually with a bit of clutch work it does move - I agree with "ogoab" that the newness is the cause as mechanically it is erm...new!! ;)

Listen to "oldgit" he is the bike guru!! :D

That's because you have to go down to 1st then up to neutral i thought?(get my YBR125 tomorrow so i'll see then lol)

I dont have the problem of the bike missing gears but they do sometimes get stuck. I find in general that the YBR gearbox is quite noisy as well.

The ybr is my first bike but I do agree that the gears are a bit picky. Sometimes it has a bit of trouble getting into third and on more than one occasion its jumped out of second. Can be a bit dangerous sometimes, other than making you look silly :(.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online