should i buy these or not?!

danster
This post is 5686 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

afternoon all, i'm really wanted to stretch out the front end on my dragstar 1100 classic but am really worried about the everyday rideability of the bike and how hard the kit might be to fit

does anyone have an opinion or experience one of these? I'm REALLY tempted to just buy it as they can deliver tomorrow but then worried 5 degrees won't make much change or other extreme is it could be too strange a ride

any advice / comments / experiences greatly appreciated

thanks dan

http://www.customcruisers.com/custom2005/c...arget=d128.html

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

afternoon all, i'm really wanted to stretch out the front end on my dragstar 1100 classic but am really worried about the everyday rideability of the bike and how hard the kit might be to fit

does anyone have an opinion or experience one of these? I'm REALLY tempted to just buy it as they can deliver tomorrow but then worried 5 degrees won't make much change or other extreme is it could be too strange a ride

any advice / comments / experiences greatly appreciated

thanks dan

http://www.customcruisers.com/custom2005/c...arget=d128.html

The link doesnt show anything other than other links lol

I havent any experience of riding a bike with a rake kit (im assuming thats what you're talking about), but i do know it will affect the turning moment of the bike - you will need to turn sooner to get round the corner. 5 degrees dont seem a lot but once it is on the bike it will make a difference, but one im sure you will get used to.

Why not have a look on ebay for a bike with a rake kit on it - not necessarily a dragstar, and ask the seller?

Be better to ask someone who has ridden one i reckon. ;)

The link doesnt show anything other than other links lol

I havent any experience of riding a bike with a rake kit (im assuming thats what you're talking about), but i do know it will affect the turning moment of the bike - you will need to turn sooner to get round the corner. 5 degrees dont seem a lot but once it is on the bike it will make a difference, but one im sure you will get used to.

Why not have a look on ebay for a bike with a rake kit on it - not necessarily a dragstar, and ask the seller?

Be better to ask someone who has ridden one i reckon. ;)

thanks goff - i survived the urge to make an impulse purchase and am waiting to find out more, i nearly got trapped when i spoke to the shop selling them and they said they could get it here saturday morning and it would only take a few hours to fit!

99 views and 1 reply to the post though, time to find a better forum methinks

99 views and 1 reply to the post though, time to find a better forum methinks

I hope you're joking!!

TBH, most people won't have a clue about raked forks.... including me.

The Chop guys all tend to have their own websites coz they build their own.

Certainly, I'd not want to try riding a chopped Drag around the narrow English roads!!

I had enough scary moments on the 125 with a massive turning circle.

But yeah - Try asking all those chopper peeps. Bound to be at least ten forums full of 'em!!

I hope you're joking!!

TBH, most people won't have a clue about raked forks.... including me.

The Chop guys all tend to have their own websites coz they build their own.

Certainly, I'd not want to try riding a chopped Drag around the narrow English roads!!

I had enough scary moments on the 125 with a massive turning circle.

But yeah - Try asking all those chopper peeps. Bound to be at least ten forums full of 'em!!

part serious part joke to be honest mate, i appreciate most or none of us on here know or have experience with these kits, but i was more curious about peoples opinions etc as its a massive leap into the unknown. i was hoping people might have shared their thoughts on it - i'm not easily offended if it turns out everyone hates or recommends against them but were too polite to tell me ;-)

i've had good experiences and like the forum since I've been using it - but sometimes it seems a bit hard to get peoples comments or answers on things, im not defending that 125 rider's comments the other day, but i could see how people might not think there is a lot shared or imparted on here.

i would bet its most likely me though, most of my stuff has been newbie or stupid questions or all on the same subject - i often find where i think there is a problem, it turns out to be me ;-)

Most people will read what you post out of interest, but will not reply if they can't add anything constructive.

Also, old hands tend to get bored of answering the same old questions, like "What oil do I use" and "How do I adjust the chain". Half of it is covered on CBT and DAS anyway and there are plenty of websites sites that detail this stuff specifically for Newbies anyway.

It's the same on most types of forum and Newbies seem utterly unable to read stickied 'Newbie FAQs' or use the Search function.

Not a direct bash at you either, mate (we were all the same once).

Just playing Devil's Advocate, really.

By comparison, I've come on here and I think my first 20 posts were all solving other people's problems. I must have seemed like a right know-all!!

What Ttaskmaster said (fuckin hell im agreeing with him AGAIN! :lol: )

Personally i think rake kits look the dogs bollox, but i havent ridden a bike with one on. I have a piccie of a dragstar with a 5 degree rake kit on:.....

carl.jpg

And i got that from this site:

VStar 1100 dot com

It was on page 6 of the gallery, number 17 down on the far left. you could email its owner and ask for their advice ;)

Seeee....even i can be helpful when i want. ;)

What Ttaskmaster said (fuckin hell im agreeing with him AGAIN! :lol: )

Personally i think rake kits look the dogs bollox, but i havent ridden a bike with one on. I have a piccie of a dragstar with a 5 degree rake kit on:.....

carl.jpg

And i got that from this site:

VStar 1100 dot com

It was on page 6 of the gallery, number 17 down on the far left. you could email its owner and ask for their advice ;)

Seeee....even i can be helpful when i want. ;)

oop's forgot to write something before i clicked!!!- ( newbie )

i think bike looks awesome with that extra rake & it's not over the top i.m.o.- am fancying the seat for my dragstar custom though-but then again i'm always 3 steps in front < don't take my test till end of nov- still am out & about as much as poss on 125!

oop's forgot to write something before i clicked!!!- ( newbie )

i think bike looks awesome with that extra rake & it's not over the top i.m.o.- am fancying the seat for my dragstar custom though-but then again i'm always 3 steps in front < don't take my test till end of nov- still am out & about as much as poss on 125!

I don't blame you mate - I was just the same, shopping for bits and ideas before I got my first one earlier this year, and then looking for an 1100 a month or so after I got that first 650!

welcome to dragstar riding then, best of luck with your test