82 Maxim 400

masterall
This post is 5699 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I am a fairly new rider and I took my maxim out for a ride the other day and found that I was slipping out of gear in every gear. It changes gears just fine and there are no jerky starts everything works fine except it slipps out on me at high revs (between 4-6 thousand RPMs). I figure its a clutch issue, is it just a matter of adjustment or does it need complete replacement?

I tried adjusting the clutch with the screw up at the handle bars and I have small differences but its still slipping out. I have not yet had time to look at it. I will this evening but has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks all

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum Masterall

Unfortunately, from my experiences......when a gearbox has the dreaded "Jumping outta gear" symptom.....it usually means that your shift forks in the gearbox are bent :huh: ......which requires a teardown of the lower-end to repair. <_<

If you're mechanically inclined @ all....& have a manual & some decent tools.......it's do-able. ;)

:welcome: to the forum Masterall

Unfortunately, from my experiences......when a gearbox has the dreaded "Jumping outta gear" symptom.....it usually means that your shift forks in the gearbox are bent :huh: ......which requires a teardown of the lower-end to repair. <_<

If you're mechanically inclined @ all....& have a manual & some decent tools.......it's do-able. ;)

I don't he's saying its jumping out of gear just that the clutch is slipping!!

need to adjust the clutch at the actuator end, slacken off and screw lightly till stop and back off 1/4 turn and lock off. should also be 5mm slack at lever end. also check clutch cable, should be lubed every month or will fray and not return the clutch properly.

btw :welcome: