YBR 125 Seized rear brake

Ricky Astbury
This post is 5034 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, brand new to the forum, picked up my 2006 YBR yesterday, (£550!!)

Was slightly vandalised, but not seriously, easily fixed, however having stood for a while, the rear brake has seized and needs gentle persuasion (hammer), is this an easy job to fix or a bit of a nightmare as I'm new to bikes but have some experience with cars.

Im also thinking of changing the chain as it's as really slack, has anybody got any recommendations?

Many thanks

Ricky

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i would think it would be the calipers that are sticking, it may be worth taking them off, stripping them down and cleaning all the shite off them.

failing that, try a different set of calipers

if the chain is worn its worth changing the chain and sprockets as a set (i did when i got my DT50 for peace of mind) and it will occasionally need a bit of adjusting as it stretches (should be around 1% for sealed chains, 1.5% for non sealed

you need new brake shoes, its nothing to do with dirt.

once you wear the brakes out they close.

pull the metal rod on the back towards the back and it should free the back wheel up, just dont press it again.

brake shoes for the drum are about £15 and labour about £10 or something

you need new brake shoes, its nothing to do with dirt.

once you wear the brakes out they close.

pull the metal rod on the back towards the back and it should free the back wheel up, just dont press it again.

brake shoes for the drum are about £15 and labour about £10 or something

Nice one, thanks for all the replies, I'll get them sorted along with the indicator relay and front headlight bulb. Not far to go before she's road legal!!

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

as the owner of a 05 model of the YBR125 which I have had from new I have had the same problem it could be the shoes which are worn but it could also be the spindle from the brake arm through the body of the aluminium brake drum plate. In the good old days they used to put an oil-lite bush so that the aluminium did not oxidise and trap the spindle but unfortunately those days have gone!

the good new is that it is not a big job to sort out yourself just watch when you take the wheel spindle out.

mark the two chain adjusters with a spot of pant to make sure that you put them back the right way up.

and there is a spacer on each side of the wheel as well one is longer than the other.

If you have never done this before use a camera/phone to photo as you go as to what goes where

remove the brake shoes and the outer lever push out the brake spindle give it a rub with a bit of fine emery cloth coat with LM grease on the part which passes through the body then refit everything

as for the chain try website wemoto.com you can buy new DID chain and sprockets for less than the price of a stranded chain!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online