Thundercat Downpipes

Mr OCD
This post is 5705 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm not having much luck with the downpipes on the Cat... the issue is that they keep loosening off the cylinder head so start blowing.

This all started when I needed to remove the downpipes due to several holes in them... they were cleaned up, welded and painted but upon removal three of the top row of studs snapped... so these were heli-coiled with new M6 threads and then bolts used to tighten up.

After 100 miles they had loosened off so much that I lost a bolt so this time we tightened them up so much we snapped one of the heli-coil inserts so had to do it again ...

Now after 70-80 miles the bikes blowing again from the cylinder head area and I suspect they have loosened off again...

Can anyone help? - I'm getting REALLY peeved off now as the bikes been apart twice in the last two weeks and the ticking noise is driving me round the bend!!!

I'm supposed to be doing a big rideout on Sunday too...

Any help appreciated...

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can you fit studs instead of bolts, Loctite them on the head side and use nuts and spring washers on the pipe clamp.

I'm not sure where I would find the studs hence why we used bolts... I did mention using spring washers to my mechanic but he didnt seem to think they were needed... :unsure:

Surely the loctite would burn off?

I'm not going to use the bike till this is sorted as I dont want to damage the engine :angry:

I'm not sure where I would find the studs hence why we used bolts... I did mention using spring washers to my mechanic but he didnt seem to think they were needed... :unsure:

Surely the loctite would burn off?

I'm not going to use the bike till this is sorted as I dont want to damage the engine :angry:

On first looking it should have studs, Its a newish bike so you would be able to buy them from Yamaha agent, or if you know the length maybe from engineers suppliers or look in motorcycle mechanics magazine

see Here

On first looking it should have studs, Its a newish bike so you would be able to buy them from Yamaha agent, or if you know the length maybe from engineers suppliers or look in motorcycle mechanics magazine

see Here

Cheers fella... I think I will just take a trip down to main dealer tommorrow and order new studs / gaskets and see how that turns out. I think the main reason for using bolts instead of studs though was to ensure we didnt strip the thread on the helicoil?

Cheers fella... I think I will just take a trip down to main dealer tommorrow and order new studs / gaskets and see how that turns out. I think the main reason for using bolts instead of studs though was to ensure we didnt strip the thread on the helicoil?

Go to dealer with your exact model and engine number, I personally dont like using bolts because studs are fixed and the bit that takes the wear and tear is away from the internal thread in the cylinder head, much better that way IMO