80 piston/barrel on a 50?

wild foamy
This post is 5312 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

my question is, would it be possible to fit a DT80 piston and barrel into a 50 sized engine, seeing as they are similar engines (despite the size)

also, anyone know where i can get a set of DT80 downpipes to help my yammy breathe a bit better?

- Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi everyone.

my question is, would it be possible to fit a DT80 piston and barrel into a 50 sized engine, seeing as they are similar engines (despite the size)

also, anyone know where i can get a set of DT80 downpipes to help my yammy breathe a bit better?

- Steve

Hi Steve

The answer is no (or the big bore kit would be 80cc and not 70cc) so if you want 80cc buy an 80cc engine. You may consider getting the barrrel ported and changing the reed valve to complement the changes you have made. Or find an RD80LC engine graft it into the frame as they went real well

Regards Jim

hi there

thanks for the advice, i cant seem to find a 70cc or 80cc big bore kit anywere, only a 60cc so that will have to do for now.

am also jetting the carb and fitting a K&N style air filter to help it breathe a bit better

hi there

thanks for the advice, i cant seem to find a 70cc or 80cc big bore kit anywere, only a 60cc so that will have to do for now.

am also jetting the carb and fitting a K&N style air filter to help it breathe a bit better

Hi there

Try this Just have a look & see . I know this is a 60cc kit but if you email the site owner they have loadsa bits that they do not show on the web site. I do know the site is really for FS1(E), but if they do the 70cc kit for FS1 their suppliers may be able to supply the 70cc kit for RD/DT50 .. same motor. An other thing to look at is the CDI ignition conversion (I've just got one & I'll tell you the result after its bin fitted) Again it says FS1 part but from the years I did fixing these little bikes the CDI sator will fit straight on a DT.

Regards Jim

wont it be expensive to get a 70cc kit over from the Netherlands?, ive thought about the CDI kit but am not sure about how benificial it would be.

They seem to charge £18 whatever you order I've spent just over £500 with them everything has been fine. At present I have the CDI ready to fit to my running FS1 ( to evalulate if its any good or not) but as I have nearly lost part of my right index finger I will have to wait until that heals b4 I can fit it and test it out. If it does what the Dutch say I'll get one for the rebuild along with the racing (18,000 rpm) crankshaft and 70cc kit. That could be a flying machine. They also have second hand bits (had some sprokets so I can play with the gearing to get everything right on the runner before the rebuild gets it. I know FS1's and DT50's r different but a lot of the tuning issues are the same ... As a foot note I rode an RD50 in Holland back in '78 (same motor as the DT) and had 62 mph in stock condition (50cc out of the factory). Maybe worth searching RD50 stuff !

Regards Jim

• 1 year later...