Carburetor help needed for my 82 Seca

toshu
This post is 5716 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike has been sitting for almost 5 years, and was not properly stored. The old gas was in the tank and carbs. I was able to start the bike but gas pours out of the carbs. I really do not wan to try and disassemble the carbs to clean them. I assume that the float is sticking. Any suggestions on how to clean the carbs well without removal???

yeah I know i should take them apart, but time and my old brain ain't up to it....

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

okay,

I know the best way is to rebuild thm, but what can I do otherwise, since I cannot rebuild thyem myself...

Well, you obviously will have to have somebody do it for you. Got any friends or relatives that know how, that can help you out? One guy I know unstuck his floats by putting a lot of Seafoam in his tank, letting it run enough to get into the float bowls and then shut it off and let it stand for a number of hours. It took him a while to get it started and to get the Seafoam through the system, but it worked. Of course, I don't believe he had gas sitting in his carbs for 5 years.

Well, you obviously will have to have somebody do it for you. Got any friends or relatives that know how, that can help you out? One guy I know unstuck his floats by putting a lot of Seafoam in his tank, letting it run enough to get into the float bowls and then shut it off and let it stand for a number of hours. It took him a while to get it started and to get the Seafoam through the system, but it worked. Of course, I don't believe he had gas sitting in his carbs for 5 years.

Seafoam is what I bought and got into the carb first. I may refill the carb bowl with Seafoam again and let it sit for a week. I assume that there is no harm in trying that??

Seafoam is what I bought and got into the carb first. I may refill the carb bowl with Seafoam again and let it sit for a week. I assume that there is no harm in trying that??

Yamaha did there own carb cleaner there were a batch of XJ550's bought into the U.K which were not prepared at the factory, Ok it was good enough to get the bikes going but they did suffer from problems on running and every bike had to have its carbs off to be fully cleaned out. I soaked all the brass bits in carb cleaner for about a week changing it daily and high pressure air thro them. The bodies where more difficult I was spraying carb cleaner into all the holes and hoping it would come out the other end slowly most carbs clean thro with this method & high pressure air. Don't forget the choke tube built into the float chamber as it's drilling is at the float chamber this one has had the most mess on it for ages, in one case I had to change the float bowls and in another the whole set of carbs had to be replaced.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online