Bike test blue's..

Markyboy27
This post is 5725 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

..having just blown all my cash on an '03 Dragstar 125 i'm now broke, although did manage to pass my CBT with a somewhat spotless pass-mark.

So here's the issue... ride on L-plates without a pillion or go for the full test, which will require £600 for out-of-hours / weekend lessons.

However, having been a motocrosser since the age of 9, and a car driver since 17 (now 42) I do feel I could take a crack at the test without investing over half a grand in lessons (especially as my CBT report was 'a natural, just don't appear too confident in your test' which I take to be a good pass-mark).

So my question to you is: do examiners take a dim view of upstarts who seek to deprive their colleagues of a living, and therefore apply a high degree of critical eye to one's performance during the test, or do they simply respect a bikers bottle in attempting the test without the aid of significant lessons.

Not wishing to be cocky, but £600 is at least 4 tests, so failing it the first time would still be cheaper... what do you think ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest Exupnutta

I would agree with you TO A POINT...

Agree you are a very capable rider :D... BUT I would advise having a few lessons (mock exam) simply to bring you up to speed on what EXACTLY the examiner will be looking for and the ROUTES you will be taking. There is ALWAYS at least 1 junction to get caught out on :unsure:

I did a direct access 7 years ago and jumped straight on to a 1000cc bike :lol: BUT I failed my first test? WHY? Because I started getting too confident (knowing what was waiting for me at home) and starting to ride PROPERLY... NOT what the examiner wants to see :unsure: I don't think the racing leathers went down all that well either :lol: Although I DID remove the tinted visor before the exam :D

I enjoyed my lessons, although there were a couple of people on my course who would have been better off staying at home :huh: They just didn't have a ....... clue and were not capable of learning :blink:

I resat a test 3 years ago (DVLA 'lost' all proof that i had a licence) & i went the route of taking a couple of lessons. I'm lucky i did coz over the years i developed a few 'bad habits'. Make your own mind up as to how to go but when you go with lessons the school you go with can show you the test routes & if you have the lessons just b4 the test everything you need to know is fresh in your memory. Which ever way you go good luck.

The other thing to consider, is what bike are you going to take your test on. For direct access you will need a bike bigger than the 125 you mention.

You need to be on a bike of at least 46.6 bhp (35kw) so you are looking at about 500cc or so.

If you do a few lessons on a bike that big (you can ride above 125cc if accompanied by an instructor) you may be able to borrow (hire) it B)

failing that you gonna have to go and buy one.

The other thing to consider, is what bike are you going to take your test on. For direct access you will need a bike bigger than the 125 you mention.

You need to be on a bike of at least 46.6 bhp (35kw) so you are looking at about 500cc or so.

If you do a few lessons on a bike that big (you can ride above 125cc if accompanied by an instructor) you may be able to borrow (hire) it B)

failing that you gonna have to go and buy one.

..thanks, I didn't realise that. Can I take a 125 test just to lose the L-plates and allow pillion ? If so, is it cheaper ?

..thanks, I didn't realise that. Can I take a 125 test just to lose the L-plates and allow pillion ? If so, is it cheaper ?

yes you can, but you will be limited to 33bhp for 2 years.

can i just say if you feel you are experienced and want to do the test without loads of expence, you could get one of the good books on motorcycle riding (i had one when i was 16) which explains the test in detail and the techniques for passing. you could practise and then put yourself through the test and see how you get on.

yes you can, but you will be limited to 33bhp for 2 years.

can i just say if you feel you are experienced and want to do the test without loads of expence, you could get one of the good books on motorcycle riding (i had one when i was 16) which explains the test in detail and the techniques for passing. you could practise and then put yourself through the test and see how you get on.

..ok thanks, do you think a 250 would be under 33bhp ?

Guest Exupnutta

..ok thanks, do you think a 250 would be under 33bhp ?

If not it can be restricted.

Bought this for my OH and was going to restrict it for her... same situation. Test on 125. Ride for 2 years then full power :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online