Yamaha XS 250 Idle Issues?

CharlyG
This post is 5720 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right.

When i initially start him up, he idles at 1000rpm fine, but as soon as i flick into 1st and then engage the clutch after a short drive, couple of feet i mean.

The idle zoooooooooooooomms up to 4000rpm

Im not sure what it is, anyone experienced similar issues? any advice would be really appreciated.

as i would like to fix this asap!

Charly

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a choke problem or your throttle cable is sticking. Check the choke is going off completely after starting(the valve is closing properly).

Been a few posts like this lately :(

1, If there are rubber mounts between the carbs and manifolds check they are not split and sucking air in, I suggest you wrap insulation tape round them to see if it improves the situation because this would be a quick and easy way to check...Repair and replace as necessary

2, Screw in the air mixture screws gently until they stop, if this improves then start to back them out again to find the right setting before the 'racing' happens

3, Check float height and thoroughly clean carbs

These are all possibilities