Whens best to buy?

smiler289
This post is 5721 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

Am looking to buy my first bike, passed my test a few months ago, decided to get it done before the test changes. Am looking to get a Fazer 600, the underseat exhaust model, but am on a budget at the moment due to having to pay the bloody council tax and car insurance, doh! Is it worth waiting till the winter to find a bargain or does that not change the price of bike much?

Cheers

James

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sales to tend to slow in winter and prices do seem to drop. If you're in no rush, then hang on till around October/November - see whats available - usually theres some quality bikes with a decent price going around that time.

December, january are best months the trades dead if you have cash a bargin is to be had. Just haggle and don't be afraid to insult them with an offer you think you won't get away with, and be prepared to walk away for a couple of weeks. If it's still there gives you more bargining power and theres always another bike just round the corner.

Hiya all!

Cheers for your replies! I can wait till winter time to get one, although am itching to get one really haha and have seen the perfect bike but Id best wait; I simply have too manybills to pay at present before I can get my toy doh!

I have got to get a new set of gear anyway so I can be getting that in the mean time. Anyone got any suggestions on brands and where to get bargains etc? Am looking to get a Shark helmet, going to try some tomorrow if I have time. I've been told to get the best I can afford.

Cheers!

James

I have got to get a new set of gear anyway so I can be getting that in the mean time. Anyone got any suggestions on brands and where to get bargains etc? Am looking to get a Shark helmet, going to try some tomorrow if I have time. I've been told to get the best I can afford.

Cheers!

James

'Shark' is a good make of helmets. Just keep trying them on until you find one that feels right. I went in to bout five different shops before I found one that finally felt right. I didn't even like the £400 helmets, so it's not really about price, more about comfort.

You can test the quality of your helmet on here as well: http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Kirk47

.....I have got to get a new set of gear anyway so I can be getting that in the mean time. Anyone got any suggestions on brands and where to get bargains etc? Am looking to get a Shark helmet, going to try some tomorrow if I have time. I've been told to get the best I can afford.

General rule tends to be get the best you can afford. Different lids suit different heads. I currently have an HJC; not a lid I would ordinarily go for but I liked the design, plus it has a built in flip up dark visor insert, is very comfortable and was a decent (£130) price. I also have a Shoei X-Spiirit, probably the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn but I couldn't afford the near £500 replacement cost.

The same rule applies to all clothing, really. When you consider it's the only thing protecting you, spending wisely can mean the difference between severe bruised pride and traction. Having said that, I have also bought a lot of my stuff from Hein Gericke (lots of good quality, reasonably priced gear) and from J & S, a bargain bucket shop. I wouldn't buy much from J & S but did buy two pairs of Alpine Star boots, reduced from £200 to £99, as they were last year's model. Like I cared about that.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online