Slack chain

Jimbosimbo
This post is 5735 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys me again

I'm Havin chain problems with my YBR. It keeps going slack. I posted reciently about false neutrals can these be caused by slack chains? I was out tonight practicing hill starts, stalled a couple of times (real good ones) then started getting false neutrals. The bike started sounding gruffer. I checked the chain its slacker than before I left, Its almost like the stalls slackened the chain!

Anyway I'm going to have a go at adjusting it, I have the manual (and no machanical experiance) but there is a nut that is baffeling me. Its the brake torque rod nut which has a pin through it. What's that all about and what do I do with it? :headscratch: I think Im running out off alinement marks what is the next step remove a link and reset or get a new chain. Arrrgh so many question.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Guys me again

I'm Havin chain problems with my YBR. It keeps going slack. I posted reciently about false neutrals can these be caused by slack chains? I was out tonight practicing hill starts, stalled a couple of times (real good ones) then started getting false neutrals. The bike started sounding gruffer. I checked the chain its slacker than before I left, Its almost like the stalls slackened the chain!

Anyway I'm going to have a go at adjusting it, I have the manual (and no machanical experiance) but there is a nut that is baffeling me. Its the brake torque rod nut which has a pin through it. What's that all about and what do I do with it? :headscratch: I think Im running out off alinement marks what is the next step remove a link and reset or get a new chain. Arrrgh so many question.

If it keeps going slack (the chain) & you're running out of alingment marks then the chain needs replacing. The torque arm is to make sure you have a back brake (if this is not attached you have no rear brake), the nut can be loosened (after removing the pin) when adjusting the chain but remember to tighten afterwards & replace the pin coz it (the pin) stops the nut going west while you're going east. It's also a MOT failure if the pin is missing (point of roadworthyness if pulled over by the law) because it's there to stop the nut coming off if it should become loose. By the way you are tightening the rear spindle after adjustment i hope, coz that's the other way the chain keeps loosening? The false neutrals can be caused by the oil being no good, needing changing.

If it keeps going slack (the chain) & you're running out of alingment marks then the chain needs replacing. The torque arm is to make sure you have a back brake (if this is not attached you have no rear brake), the nut can be loosened (after removing the pin) when adjusting the chain but remember to tighten afterwards & replace the pin coz it (the pin) stops the nut going west while you're going east. It's also a MOT failure if the pin is missing (point of roadworthyness if pulled over by the law) because it's there to stop the nut coming off if it should become loose. By the way you are tightening the rear spindle after adjustment i hope, coz that's the other way the chain keeps loosening? The false neutrals can be caused by the oil being no good, needing changing.

Thanks very much. I have not attempted this yet.Its been done by professional machanics so I hope the rear spindle has been tightened and the oil has been changed last month. I have a feeling its going to be a new Chain and sprocket. such is life

Jimbosimbo

Thanks very much. I have not attempted this yet.Its been done by professional machanics so I hope the rear spindle has been tightened and the oil has been changed last month. I have a feeling its going to be a new Chain and sprocket. such is life

Jimbosimbo

I had a go and adjusted the slack on my chain. Done everything by the manual went out and the bike ran good. But my wife went out for a ride and said that she stalled it and noticed a slight change in performance and sound. I checked the chain and it was a bit slacker. I mentioned earlier that I was running out of alighnment mark but its actualy on the middle mark. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

dont panic chains are not expensive

I had a go and adjusted the slack on my chain. Done everything by the manual went out and the bike ran good. But my wife went out for a ride and said that she stalled it and noticed a slight change in performance and sound. I checked the chain and it was a bit slacker. I mentioned earlier that I was running out of alighnment mark but its actualy on the middle mark. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

It is aligned both sides of the swingarm to the same mark isn't it? If so , new chain & sprockets! If this is the 1st time you had this problem since buying the bike then the last owner might have removed links out of the chain to sell it. Just a thought, coz many traders/sellers use this shortcut to save money & get rid (if you know what i mean).

dont panic chains are not expensive

oh I know but i'm a tight arse and skint, not a good combination. I can get a chain sprocket set for £25 £ 40 labour. I wish I could do this job but I dont have the knowhow at the mo.

howz the moto guzzi going?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online