XS360 No spark?

billfrombyron
This post is 5748 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK dumb question here, but if the battery is dead will it still start?

I just put new plugs in, and can't get a spark.

For reference I just picked up the bike and it hasn't ran in 3 years.

I drained the tank(NO RUST!!), cleaned out the carbs, cleaned up some green fuzzys on the electrical connectors and fuse block and I am just wondering if I will be kicking in vain without the battery?

Yes I put about a shot glass full of oil down each cylinder to ensure proper lubrication before start up BTW.

-Bill

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OK dumb question here, but if the battery is dead will it still start?

I just put new plugs in, and can't get a spark.

For reference I just picked up the bike and it hasn't ran in 3 years.

I drained the tank(NO RUST!!), cleaned out the carbs, cleaned up some green fuzzys on the electrical connectors and fuse block and I am just wondering if I will be kicking in vain without the battery?

Yes I put about a shot glass full of oil down each cylinder to ensure proper lubrication before start up BTW.

-Bill

thats a lot of oil to burn.

yes you do need a battery power to start. its not a magneto bike.

check your contacts for pitting and check for flashes from them when a friend kicks it over! (condensors knackered)

most prob your carbs have varnished if left with fuel in over a period of time, have you tried easy start?

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!

Charged the battery up, and re gapped the points. Runs beautifuly now!

I wasn't sure if it had a magneto style ignition or if it required a voltage source to start. Thank you for the clarification.

Now to change the oil and then I can ride her to work on Monday!

Any recommendations on grade of oil? Its hot over her and I was thinking 10W40 or 15W50. Which do you think would be better?

-Bill

neither 20w 50 i use millars semi synthetic classicsport oil, never use full synthetic as your clutch will slip!!

Oil changed, and BOY is this thing fun to ride! thanks for all the help guys!

I went with just plain old 20W50 wal-mart 5 qt for 7.98 bottle oil. It meets the standards set forth in the Haynes manual, but then again it is a Haynes.....

Anyone got a scanned copy of the actual owners manual for the XS 360?

-Bill

Oil changed, and BOY is this thing fun to ride! thanks for all the help guys!

I went with just plain old 20W50 wal-mart 5 qt for 7.98 bottle oil. It meets the standards set forth in the Haynes manual, but then again it is a Haynes.....

Anyone got a scanned copy of the actual owners manual for the XS 360?

-Bill

pioneerX has a site which has the XS400 which is exactly like the 360 (which has a smaller bore)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online