2003 YZF-R1 - Electrical fault

TheSaffer
This post is 5740 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, yesterday I rode my bike in to work, no problems. When I tried to start it up the next morning, the battery was dead, did about two swings and that was it.

So I tried "bump starting" it. When I drop the clutch the bike starts up for about half a second and goes dead.

The dash display disappearing with it.

So I picked up a battery from my local bike shop and popped the new charged battery in and started her up. I measured the Voltage over the terminals and it stayed at 12V regardless if I pick up the revs or not. So I raced back home from work with the knowledge that it's not charging the battery and about a hundred yards from my home she spluttered to a halt. Dead.

Now I would like to know if you have any thoughts on this.

I am going to charge up the battery again now over night and take my chances to ride to the bike shop where they can find the problem.

I would just like to know if there is a chance that it might just simply be a simple problem that I might be able to correct myself or can I take is as gospel that either my rectifier or alternator has gone?

What do you think?

I didn't know that a bike can drain a battery so fast while running...

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OK, so nobody replied.

Found the problem: I now have to replace the genrator stator, cover gasket and rectifier, about £400+VAT

Not a cheap problem this turned out to be...

electrex-rr88-yam-r1-rectifier.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Still having trouble...

Here's a pic of my alternating stator ---

n606501221_1147794_5975.jpg

n606501221_1147796_7387.jpg

n606501221_1147795_6701.jpg

I have found a link to a R1 Manual in case any of you face the same problem:

R1 Manual - Page 260

Hope this helps!

OK, that was an estimate from my local bike shop...

They did a great job and the bill? £430 incl VAT and labour !

I just picked it up today, so I'm a very happy boy at the moment.

The reason for the long wait was no one keeps the 2003 R1 (5PW7) Washer Bolt in stock. I had to wait all this time just to get the £3.50 bolt...

---------------

So if you own a 2003 R1 (5PW7) and you have to replace your stator, I would recommend that you order one of these bolts so that you have it when it comes to putting your bike back together. Apparently you need to use a new one as it is fixed very very tight...

The bolt part no. is: 90105 105A6