XS400 Tank Swap?

sschering
This post is 5702 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just a quick question..

Will the tanks from the bigger bikes bolt up to a XS400 frame?

I just picked up a XS400 but I'm missing the seat, tank and side covers.

It would really help to know what models I can pick from..

I found a 650 with no title that would really help finish the XS400 off..

I know keeping the 650 together would be a good option but it takes 2 -3 years to get a new title. without the original owner to sign off.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm almost 100% sure the seat and side covers won't fit, but the tank should. Motorcycle tanks are pretty interchangeable for the most part.

I think you are right.. I've been collecting pictures of tanks and seats to compare..

The XS400 seat is open on the tank end with 2 brackets to hook onto rubber grommets bolted to the frame.

It shares the rear latch system with the XS650 Special seat. When mounted the front of the seat overlaps the tank slightly. Both bikes also use the same grab bar.

THe XS650 seat is a closed end and butts up aginst the tank. It has a single brackets that hooks around the bushing for the rear tank mount. (I think it does anyway)

The tanks also differ slightly.. the XS400 appears to drop down over the frame more than the XS650 tank but appear to use the same basic mounts.

Is the XS650 physicaly longer than the XS400?

I'm just wondering if the XS650 Special seat and tank would fit a XS400 if used together.

It looks lithe the XS650 seat/tank might be slightly longer overall.

I'm think the XS650 tank will bolt on but I don't think the stock XS400 seat would fit with it..

I guess I better look harder for XS400 parts.

we need to know what year and model the xs400 is, there are at least 4 variants over the years!!

It's a 1980 XS400

Not sure if it's a special or not..

Can you tell from the VIN?

It has the XS650 Special type seat latches so the seat flips up from the back.. not to the side. (If I had a seat to flip)

1st 3 numbers on your engine # will do

• 1 month later...

I'm actually currious too. Got myself a 1980 XS400 Special II off of craigslist, it's complete and runs well

the gas tank as some rust spots inside

if the XS650 tank works, is it any bigger? I hate running out of gas on my way up a mountain pass... experiences, experiences....

the 1980 code is 3F9

I picked up a no title 77 XS400 today.. Just needs a battery, seat cover and some minor fixes. Vin 2N2

shouldn't that be 2A2?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online