No clutch switch?

joecool85
This post is 5758 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

According to the wiring diagram I can find for the XS400, it has no clutch switch. Meaning that you need to be in neutral to start the bike. That's fine when you are getting going from a parking lot, but what if you stall it in an intersection - you'd have to fiddle with the thing to get it in neutral so you can hit the starter instead of just pulling the clutch and starting it.

So, did the XS400 come with a clutch switch or no? I have one (not hooked up) on the XJ550 front end that's on my bike. I'm trying to decide if I should try to wire that in or if I should just bypass the neutral switch. How dangerous would that be? (bypassing the neutral switch)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

no clutch switch fitted to the sohc xs400's.

if you stall, just pull the clutch in and start the bugger, easier to find neutral then or slip the clutch till the thing bites.

no clutch switch fitted to the sohc xs400's.

if you stall, just pull the clutch in and start the bugger, easier to find neutral then or slip the clutch till the thing bites.

I would just pull the clutch in and start it, but you can't. For the electric start it needs to be in neutral, and the kick start you need the clutch out - making you need to be in neutral.

Are you saying I should disable the neutral safety switch? (Which is kinda what I've been thinking of doing).

I would just pull the clutch in and start it, but you can't. For the electric start it needs to be in neutral, and the kick start you need the clutch out - making you need to be in neutral.

Are you saying I should disable the neutral safety switch? (Which is kinda what I've been thinking of doing).

they are not fitted to the uk xs400's so i'd do it, there is a small diagram for the system in the haynes manual if your tempted to fix it! (page 138)

they are not fitted to the uk xs400's so i'd do it, there is a small diagram for the system in the haynes manual if your tempted to fix it! (page 138)

So the UK XS400 had no sort of safety to keep it from starting? I don't have the haynes manual, is it possible you could scan it for me? I think I'll almost definetely get rid of the neutral safety switch.

So the UK XS400 had no sort of safety to keep it from starting? I don't have the haynes manual, is it possible you could scan it for me? I think I'll almost definetely get rid of the neutral safety switch.

sorry but i don't have time to scan 150 pages of a haynes manual. i can scan the relevant section but my PSU has gone on my main PC ( on the missus laptop), so i'tl have to wait till i can fit a new one.

I can do that for you later if you want?

sorry but i don't have time to scan 150 pages of a haynes manual. i can scan the relevant section but my PSU has gone on my main PC ( on the missus laptop), so i'tl have to wait till i can fit a new one.

I can do that for you later if you want?

I should have been more specific, I was wanting just the page or two of wiring schematics relevant for my '82 XS400S SOHC - not the whole haynes manual lol. I'd be paying you a few bucks if I expected you to scan and email 150 pages.

And yeah, that'd be great if you could do that at some point (the wiring schematics).

There is no safety switch on my U.S. XS400 either. I can start it in or out of gear, with or without the clutch pulled in. My 76 Honda however did have a safety switch both for neutral and the clutch, I was a little surprised when I found my Yamaha didn't.

There is no safety switch on my U.S. XS400 either. I can start it in or out of gear, with or without the clutch pulled in. My 76 Honda however did have a safety switch both for neutral and the clutch, I was a little surprised when I found my Yamaha didn't.

Yeah, I'm definetely going to bypass it then. I really don't use the electric start normally anyway, I just want to be able to start in a hurry if I stall in traffic - just in case.

Yeah, I'm definetely going to bypass it then. I really don't use the electric start normally anyway, I just want to be able to start in a hurry if I stall in traffic - just in case.

The deed has been done. It now starts clutch in or out, neutral or in gear. Just for kicks I tried starting it with the e-start while in gear, clutch let out. The bike hardly lerches at all and the starter gives up...not unsafe at all really, it would just make you feel like an idiot. Pull the clutch and let her start.

**edit**

All you need to do btw is short the sky blue wire on the starter relay to ground.

All you need to do is remember that you have done the change. There will be no 'JoeCool' if you do forget! I'm surprised by this thread as we never had cutout switches on our bikes. I must admit I never consider them. Just like jumping in a car its second nature. You will f**k up!

All you need to do is remember that you have done the change. There will be no 'JoeCool' if you do forget! I'm surprised by this thread as we never had cutout switches on our bikes. I must admit I never consider them. Just like jumping in a car its second nature. You will f**k up!

How would there be no Joecool if I forget? I'd look like an idiot? In first gear the bike doesn't even really lerch forward when you try to start with the e-start. And you can't really kick the engine over with the kick start in gear either, at least I can't - but I only weigh 135lbs.

Turns out I was wrong, my bike has wiring for a clutch switch. The diagram I have only goes to '81, they must have added it for '82. So, I was able to splice in the XJ550 front end's clutch switch to the XS400's chassis - it works perfect. So now I have an operation clutch switch and neutral safety switch! Sweet :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online