Sign of the times?

ReBorne
This post is 5758 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Driving back home from work tonight I had to come through a stretch of road leading up to a roundabout that's being extended....

In a distance of around 500 yards there are now no less than 23(!) road signs....... Doesn't sound much until you see them.... some are even within 15 feet of the back of another one..... an amazing mixture of old, new and temporary ones. Worst of it is, the roundabout has gone from a 2-lane to a 4-lane soon-to-be-signal controlled one. Deep joy. People are already treating the extra space like a speed track and totally ignoring the new markings.......

Oh, and they've kindly reduced the speed from 70 down to 40 in the same stretch. Wonder how long it takes them to stick a speed camera van in amongst the foray? Probably just after the first batch of accidents.......

rant over. lol.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Where abouts is this new carbuncle being spawned? We had a bout of end of budget road "improvements" Here in North Hertfordshire.

There are more Red shellgrip stripes and oval speed markings than you can shake a stick at, mind you the white line marked "bike filtering lanes" ;) down the middle of some rural roads are really useful!! B)

Where abouts is this new carbuncle being spawned? We had a bout of end of budget road "improvements" Here in North Hertfordshire.

There are more Red shellgrip stripes and oval speed markings than you can shake a stick at, mind you the white line marked "bike filtering lanes" ;) down the middle of some rural roads are really useful!! B)

Id agree fully with you,marked bike filter lanes are usefull, use them regularly whilst down there. None up here though..unless you call the solid white line a filter lane like some bikers do..... :blink:

As for that shell grip stuff...great if used in the right way, I travel to a little village twice a week, on route through a 40 zone are a set of reasonably good corners that have been shell gripped badley, by this I mean that they ended the shell grip midway through the corner, so that in the rain, one minute your happy riding, next your sliding....what fool did this...? On the other side of the road they have put a solid red grip (Not Shell) around the entire set of corners but its 1foot wide...WTF? Ill take pics next time im over that way. Trully useless tossers....

"mind you the white line marked "bike filtering lanes" ;) down the middle of some rural roads are really useful!!"

At first I thought you meant those rather thin lanes with the nasty bumpy cats' eyes' interrupting them..... but you actually have lanes for motorbikes there instead of having to go down between the traffic?!? Or that's how I read it.....? I'm being dense, aren't I? :blink:

This latest, greatest improvement is just North of Newcastle Upon Tyne.... if you're up this way, just stay on the A1 to miss it ;-) (Though the coastal route is a great bundle of roads!)

You've got to post a pic of this. Seeing loads of road furniture at junctions can create no end of merry mayhem. I'm just trying to picture 23 signs all competing for the same bit of ground. Show us a pic; go on.

Pah, no pic :-( The road has a long slow bend towards the roundabout, so I can only catch a about half in a shot. (That's on the days when I'm driving down when it isn't packed with traffic grrrr)

And would you believe it, at the OTHER side of the roundabout they've now put about 2 1/2 miles of cones for about 100 yards of roadworks?!? Down to a SINGLE lane..... for 5 weeks!!!!! At the start of school holidays!!!! MORONS! And people have taken to going off a slip road half way through it, straight over the roundabout and back onto the road.... to jump in front of a dozen cars and cause MORE queues through drivers having to slow down and let them in!!!! As if I didn't waste enough petrol, now I either sit in traffic or take a detour through a 30 zone stopping and starting......ffs.

Can't wait to get the bike on the road. Anyone know how to register as a charity?!? Lol

(Remember Stressed Eric?? Looking like him right now......)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online