Chain Pain

ReBorne
This post is 5765 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Ok, the bike's nearly ready to go back and get a proper MOT. I've picked up the forks with the new seals and fitted them today and rectified everything on the list bar 2 things.... one is just a bolt, so no worry there.

My quandry is the chain...... the guy mentioned that it was too loose and gaps were showing around the rear sprocket. I've had the chain off and lubed it up, put it back on and tensioned it up...... but there are still gaps around the sprocket, though only at the bottom half.

How do I remedy this, or what does it mean? Is it a stretched chain?

Any help will be greatly appreciated......

Cheers!!!

(",)

Photo-0043b.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Guys,

Ok, the bike's nearly ready to go back and get a proper MOT. I've picked up the forks with the new seals and fitted them today and rectified everything on the list bar 2 things.... one is just a bolt, so no worry there.

My quandry is the chain...... the guy mentioned that it was too loose and gaps were showing around the rear sprocket. I've had the chain off and lubed it up, put it back on and tensioned it up...... but there are still gaps around the sprocket, though only at the bottom half.

How do I remedy this, or what does it mean? Is it a stretched chain?

Any help will be greatly appreciated......

Cheers!!!

(",)

Photo-0043b.jpg

Bad news Reborne, thats what it means, new chain and sprocket set required :( Its the only remedy for a worn out set, cant just replace the chain either because a new chain on worn sprockets will also wear out quickly

Anyone know a good supplier for these??

Wemoto?

M&P?

MPS?

Busters?

Bad news Reborne, thats what it means, new chain and sprocket set required :( Its the only remedy for a worn out set, cant just replace the chain either because a new chain on worn sprockets will also wear out quickly

Anyone know a good supplier for these??

Wemoto?

M&P?

MPS?

Busters?

Yup...seen that a few times.....definatly knackered....sprocket on its way to being 50 pence piece :lol:

Cheers Guys. Aaaargh, I don't know whether to really thank you or curse you for you telling the truth. lol. It's good to know, but it's bad it means £££££........... lol.

I'm gonna be honest, I really needed to keep the cost down on getting this bike sorted out :-( So, did a quick bit of searching around, and it's been quite interesting. I know she's not a popular bike for getting hold of replacement items, so I've been trying to find bikes that are interchangeable, eg FZ600 etc etc. Not so much to go down the route of buying s/h parts, but more for compatibility to buy cheaper parts. And this is where I've been confused. I've found 2 different chains, with 2 different specs. One can be got from £30 (I know, I know. You get what you pay for - but I'm having to get cheap and cheerful now, and update it bit by bit later). the other is at £60. I know my luck, it'll be the expensive one. lol

Ok, I'm gonna go spend more time running around the web and trying to pin it down. Once again, big thanks for the help. I'm slowly learning, honest!!!!

(",)

Oldgit, once again a big thanks to you.... you manage to find things even when I've been searching for a while.... I bow to your superior knowledge and your willingness to help.... :-D

No problem Reborne, hope its what you want, trouble with imports is they can be difficult to source parts for, as youre no doubt finding out. Suggest you ring them before ordering to give exact details of your bile., or numbers of teeth on sprockets for example. Also is the original chain endless (ie no split link), would this be a problem to you or do you know someone who could fit a new one?

OH, FFS!!!!!!! Shall explain in a moment......

Thankfully I'm not having a massive problem transferring my car skills to the bike.... so I already had the chain off to clean/loosen it up a bit before fitting it back on and finding it gappy - damn, it's all fussy thing - remove the little guard to remove the chain guard, disconnect the gear selector to get the sideplate off etc etc..... honestly, it's like working on a flipping Mini again - having to take off 6 bits to get to the one you want ;-) The chain at the moment has a split link which I guess for anyone else would make it easier - and there probably IS an easier way to get it on without removing everything (when I fed it over the front sprocket it obviously gathered at the bottom in a neat little pile.... my logical, albeit slow, method was to take everything off as above to get to it :-D )

Now to the FFS....... remember when Goff thought someone had it in for her with all her problems last month? Starting to feel the same..... the bike currently sits in the front of the garage sideways on. The other half wanted access to her (push)bike, which of course I'm blocking...... The garage has wooden struts down either side about 2.5' apart.... so, I drops it off the stand takes it back a foot, checks behind has enough room, up on the stand... and somehow bumped the number plate on the strut. Not hard, but enough to give the bottom quarter a good spiderweb crack..... so I can add a numberplate to the MOT list..... I swear, the strut moved. It MUST have..... *sigh*

Anyone got a straitjacket they no longer require?!? Please?!?

OH, FFS!!!!!!! Shall explain in a moment......

Thankfully I'm not having a massive problem transferring my car skills to the bike.... so I already had the chain off to clean/loosen it up a bit before fitting it back on and finding it gappy - damn, it's all fussy thing - remove the little guard to remove the chain guard, disconnect the gear selector to get the sideplate off etc etc..... honestly, it's like working on a flipping Mini again - having to take off 6 bits to get to the one you want ;-) The chain at the moment has a split link which I guess for anyone else would make it easier - and there probably IS an easier way to get it on without removing everything (when I fed it over the front sprocket it obviously gathered at the bottom in a neat little pile.... my logical, albeit slow, method was to take everything off as above to get to it :-D )

Little tip here reborne...When yo fit the new chain (and a new split link) Keep the old chain, then if you want to remove the fitted chain next time, you clip the old one to it and pull it through as you withdraw the fitted chain, thus negating any requirement to dismantle half your bike(mini style) next time and avoid that gathering in a neat little pile under your front sprocket, :thumb:

Eh? That sounds much to clever and logical for me..... lol

Cheers, certainly will!!! That's if I ever get to that stage, this month has been even worse of a killer than usual financially, so I guess it's gonna be a couple of weeks before I get anywhere now. *sobs*