'79 XS400 project update

underceije
This post is 5801 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, I finally picked up the bike today, and come to find out, my free score was much better than anticipated. The bike is in fantastic condition, and I had it running in about 30 minutes, just had to lube up the cylinders to be safe, drain what little gas was left in it after 20 years of sitting, as most had evaporated, and presto, hit the starter and it fired right up. Now don't get me wrong, still has its problems after sitting for 20 years:

1. Only one side is firing.

2. Will run, but does not like to with out the choke.

3. All in all, the carb is coming off tomorrow and will be in for a good cleaning.

I will get some pics taken today and post them, before I tear it down you to see.

Off topic question, but does anyone know or have heard about non-chrome fenders, front and rear for these? Would like to do a re-paint and use painted fenders, but they have chrome on them now. Just curious.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, I finally picked up the bike today, and come to find out, my free score was much better than anticipated. The bike is in fantastic condition, and I had it running in about 30 minutes, just had to lube up the cylinders to be safe, drain what little gas was left in it after 20 years of sitting, as most had evaporated, and presto, hit the starter and it fired right up. Now don't get me wrong, still has its problems after sitting for 20 years:

1. Only one side is firing.

2. Will run, but does not like to with out the choke.

3. All in all, the carb is coming off tomorrow and will be in for a good cleaning.

I will get some pics taken today and post them, before I tear it down you to see.

Off topic question, but does anyone know or have heard about non-chrome fenders, front and rear for these? Would like to do a re-paint and use painted fenders, but they have chrome on them now. Just curious.

Is the chrome good on the fenders as these are sought after. there's plenty of after market fibreglass fenders out there.

Is the chrome good on the fenders as these are sought after. there's plenty of after market fibreglass fenders out there.

The chrome is in great shape, the bike has been sitting for 21 years covered and in a climate controlled basement, so no rust, just dust, and when I wiped them off with a cloth, just to see, they were still shinny, with no spots, and no scratches that I can see right now, but I am not concerned with them right now, more about tearing down the carbs. But I will probably not be getting rid of them and will keep them. I am sort of a pack rat, and like to have the factory stuff off the bike to keep with it, so if I want to get back to factory specs I can do so... But who knows, and I won't really know until this winter, I am going to ride the bike till then(even though I could still ride here at that time) then I may get it broken down and redone.

I was thinking of doing a blackout bike with all the original chrome parts, minus the fenders, and doing the fenders and tank in a classic white and red. Was thinking in my mind what it would look like if Yamaha did a custom bike back in '79, so it won't be a modern look, more of a classic, that is if I ever get off my arse and get it all a part this winter once I have it running again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online