Petrol Proof Paint Type

Dave C
This post is 5802 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just after recomendations for paint for a tank. Going to paint it black and was looking at PJ1 frame paint high gloss as it sounds like its harder then most paints you can apply yourself and should not need laquer, anybody used it. Tried halfords petrol resistant laquer but every now and then it puts out a good size lump that looks like evostick and ruins it, used normal laquer and even after leaving for a few weeks to cure properly petrol just burns through it. So any recomendation or would it be worth the extra money to go to a spray shop for 2 pack.

thanks Dave C

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just after recomendations for paint for a tank. Going to paint it black and was looking at PJ1 frame paint high gloss as it sounds like its harder then most paints you can apply yourself and should not need laquer, anybody used it. Tried halfords petrol resistant laquer but every now and then it puts out a good size lump that looks like evostick and ruins it, used normal laquer and even after leaving for a few weeks to cure properly petrol just burns through it. So any recomendation or would it be worth the extra money to go to a spray shop for 2 pack.

thanks Dave C

I use and recommend PJ1 as i used these for my engine casing and is really resistant to petrol WHEN CURED!! ie heated in an oven.

for a tank I would be inclined to go for 2 pack or whatever its called nower days (i think 2 pack is old hat now coz 1 painter laughed at me when I mentined that!) get a reputable painter to do it. My tank was original but my painter laquered over it and after 2 years theres not even a blister around or under the fuel cap!!

I use and recommend PJ1 as i used these for my engine casing and is really resistant to petrol WHEN CURED!! ie heated in an oven.

for a tank I would be inclined to go for 2 pack or whatever its called nower days (i think 2 pack is old hat now coz 1 painter laughed at me when I mentined that!) get a reputable painter to do it. My tank was original but my painter laquered over it and after 2 years theres not even a blister around or under the fuel cap!!

I thought it was still called 2 pack on account it's a two part paint, one part paint/laquer one part hardener.

I'm painting my tank myself, adding my own custom decals then a two part water clear laquer using ROJ Glisten. It takes nearly a week to cure so you need to have plenty of time but it is everything proof once done.

I thought it was still called 2 pack on account it's a two part paint, one part paint/laquer one part hardener.

I'm painting my tank myself, adding my own custom decals then a two part water clear laquer using ROJ Glisten. It takes nearly a week to cure so you need to have plenty of time but it is everything proof once done.

I think its been stopped coz of the volatile ethers or whatever their called and need respitory gear to paint.

most modern paints are now water based. My painter was an ex dupont rep based in saudi.