1983 XS 400? What is it?

Gnash
This post is 5806 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just acquired an 83 xs400. I haven't started it yet. I seem to have no spark. A tree limb fell on the bike, so the guages have been busted and ignition switch is toast, so I connected the two wires on the ignition to crank it over. It has blown a couple fuses, and the fuse box gets real hot. I have looked for any shorts in the wiring, but I havent found any. Am I gonna break anything by hotwiring the bike? Before I start replacing every part, where should I start looking for the problem? I plan on finding a CDI, regulator, possibly a different wiring assembly with fuse box because the fuse holders are brittle and breaking very easily. Also what is it? Is it a Seca or a Maxim? Is it a single ohc or DOHC? Thanks

1983YamahaXS400.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It looks like a Maxim. I recently bought a 1982 XS400J Maxim (craigslist find), and while it's completely black, looks just like yours. It's a DOHC model.

2585331152_64f700c4e9.jpg

It looks like a Maxim. I recently bought a 1982 XS400J Maxim (craigslist find), and while it's completely black, looks just like yours. It's a DOHC model.

Yep, it's a DOHC, also known as maxim, seca, or 12E.

As for the fuseholder, I used a MG midget one on mine.

Before:

6529fusebox.jpg

After:

9326newfusebox.jpg

Check your PM for details of a manual...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

info here if you can stand the pidgen ingrish!! some links to 12e web pages in there as well!!

Thanks guys! ;) I now know there are two models of the DOHC with one having less of a horsepower rating. Ah, my luck I have the restricted version. Thanks again!

I found the short. I had a melted plug with the 3 white wires between the regulator and the ac generator. I now have spark. The motor fires up for a second, but not to idle. I have pulled the carb off to clean. I'm hoping she'll run after this. I have ordered the proper guages to replace the broken ones off ebay. Any more suggestions on getting her running? Thanks for that manual, xmastree!!!!!!!

2585331152_64f700c4e9.jpg

That is a hell of a find compared to mine! Very nice! I only paid $100 for mine though. hehe

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online