General questions about the xs400sg

itsnotme
This post is 5823 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm almost ready to get my bike back onto the road, finishing up some work on the bike. I've got a few questions to placate my mechanically inept brain.

1. I replaced the clutch cable with a new one since the old one gave up the ghost, I think I may have overtightened the clutch. I was thinking about taking out the clutch rod that goes from the cable assembly over to the clutch. My question is this, the book says that I can just take out the rod (it's a one piece rod right?) and make sure it's straight. It also says that I should check to make sure the ball is in the right place so I can use a rod with a magnet on the end of it to take out the ball. Does this all sound right? Should I have the fear of god put into me for taking out the rod? If it all looks good then I'll just measure the clutch cable and see if maybe the damn thing's a bit too long.

2. I broke off the top of a grease zerk, I'm now wondering how to unscrew the rest of the zerk that's still in there. Anybody have any suggestions? (Yes, I did say I was mechanically inept in the first sentence of this didn't I?! :) )

I've cleaned the carbs out, so the only thing I'm going to have the shop do is to put in some new fork oil in the front (unless you guys can convince me that I'm not going to botch the job) and rebuild the master brake (I don't want to go down the road and find out I don't have any brakes because I f**ked up!) and then have them do the inspection the merrily go down the road on the bike.

Any other suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm almost ready to get my bike back onto the road, finishing up some work on the bike. I've got a few questions to placate my mechanically inept brain.

1. I replaced the clutch cable with a new one since the old one gave up the ghost, I think I may have overtightened the clutch. I was thinking about taking out the clutch rod that goes from the cable assembly over to the clutch. My question is this, the book says that I can just take out the rod (it's a one piece rod right?) and make sure it's straight. It also says that I should check to make sure the ball is in the right place so I can use a rod with a magnet on the end of it to take out the ball. Does this all sound right? Should I have the fear of god put into me for taking out the rod? If it all looks good then I'll just measure the clutch cable and see if maybe the damn thing's a bit too long.

2. I broke off the top of a grease zerk, I'm now wondering how to unscrew the rest of the zerk that's still in there. Anybody have any suggestions? (Yes, I did say I was mechanically inept in the first sentence of this didn't I?! :) )

I've cleaned the carbs out, so the only thing I'm going to have the shop do is to put in some new fork oil in the front (unless you guys can convince me that I'm not going to botch the job) and rebuild the master brake (I don't want to go down the road and find out I don't have any brakes because I f**ked up!) and then have them do the inspection the merrily go down the road on the bike.

Any other suggestions?

1. by all means check the rod, as if it is bent you will have clutch problems

2. zerk? I assume you mean nipple? whereabout is it?

3. do the forks yourself, 20w oil use an impact driver to take off the lower screws (1 either side) and pump forks till all the oil is expelled. fill up with correct amount. I'd let the shop do the master cylinder, although I've seem a couple on NOS ebay which would be cheaper!!