electrical help with 1980 xs400

stanman44012
This post is 5830 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1980 xs400special redid the carbs bike fired right up as always. Took it out on it's maiden voyage got to the end of my driveway and the bike completely died. Now it will not fire at all. starter will not work, lights do work, kickstart won't start it. Please help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a 1980 xs400special redid the carbs bike fired right up as always. Took it out on it's maiden voyage got to the end of my driveway and the bike completely died. Now it will not fire at all. starter will not work, lights do work, kickstart won't start it. Please help

Fuse Block. These things are famous for the fuse block going bad. Consider replacing with an aftermarket block if it's chewed up too bad.

is your battery charging? check fuses & block first then be sure your batterys charged, charge it fully try again if it starts you may have a charging issue.

Update- The battery I know for a fact is good

Check your fuses. If the battery is good, you should have instrument lights whether or not the stator / field coil / voltage regulator / voltage rectifier are good.

you havn't inadvertantly switched off the bike via the kill switch did ya? eh? :blink:

wobble your keys in the ignition switch in case its not making contact

and take out and put back your fuses ensuring all is clean