Question for the electrical gurus.. XS400

Ebola Monkey
This post is 5090 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I can't find a harness for the 82 xs400SJ I'm working on, so I'm trying to work on the stock one.

I found the remains of a diode, it looks like it may have worn through the heat shrink and shorted out. Hard to tell because there was nothing left but a wire. I need to know what the value of the diode was so I can try to replace it. I've highlighted it on the schematic.

xs400baddiode.jpg

I might just order a harness from an 82 Seca or Maxim, and use whatever I can, but I'm not sure yet. This bike apparently had a fire near the carbs at some point, and there are quite a few burnt wires and melted connectors.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would say you'd be best looking for a good loom.

BUT

this diode is part of a safety cutout, therefore it won't have a heavy current flow. To confirm this you need to look at the pin out of the relay and see what's connected to what and when. I'd guess that the white wire feeds the relay control coil.

A 3 amp diode with a 200v rating should be more then adequate - try a 1n5402 (cost about 10p each).

I can send you one if you are in the UK.

I would say you'd be best looking for a good loom.

BUT

this diode is part of a safety cutout, therefore it won't have a heavy current flow. To confirm this you need to look at the pin out of the relay and see what's connected to what and when. I'd guess that the white wire feeds the relay control coil.

A 3 amp diode with a 200v rating should be more then adequate - try a 1n5402 (cost about 10p each).

I can send you one if you are in the UK.

Thanks for the info, and the offer. I'm in the US though.

I think I'm going to buy a harness for an 82-83 seca or maxim, and "rebuild" my current harness.

Picked up a few diodes per Speedshop's information today.

Tested my way through all of the previous owners hackandbashery.

Now I have a headlight that works properly (no extra switch, and have hi/lo beams).

Also have functioning turn signals. I replaced the Yamaha flasher with a $2.99 unit from autozone. I don't have the self canceling anymore, but honestly I don't even know that the self cancel unit still worked.

I also pulled the left side controls apart because I couldn't manually cancel the signals. All 3 wires fell off the turn signal switch. I re soldered those, and lubed everything with some white lithium grease. Now everything actually works. Switch moves freely, and cancels properly.

All in all, a productive night. Now I have to wait for my used harness from ebay, and some parts from Mikesxs so I can rebuild the burned harness.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online