Binding brakes

Tim Louth
This post is 5832 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have just changed the brake pads on my Thunderace and they are now binding a bit. The front wheel is difficult to turn.

I guess I will have to strip the calipers down to free up the pistons so they travel back into the caliper freely.

Has anyone done this recently and, if so, did you get away with using the old seals?

I don't mind buying new seals but it takes ages to get parts in my area and I need to get back on the road ASAP.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.

Tim.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I have just changed the brake pads on my Thunderace and they are now binding a bit. The front wheel is difficult to turn.

I guess I will have to strip the calipers down to free up the pistons so they travel back into the caliper freely.

Has anyone done this recently and, if so, did you get away with using the old seals?

I don't mind buying new seals but it takes ages to get parts in my area and I need to get back on the road ASAP.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Many thanks.

Tim.

You should have cleaned the calipers before fitting the pads. You will also need to clean and lubricate the disc bobbins so that the disc if free.

One thing worth trying, just take the top off the fluid reservoir and be ready to wipe up any excess fluid, might be over filled. Worth a try.

Rob

you can often clean the calipers and pistons up with out replacing seals, or can remove seals and scrape out all white powder and refit with red rubber grease

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online