Help w/ '78 XS400

roscoe_bass
This post is 5820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 1978 Yamaha XS400. I'm completely new to motorcycles. It only has 4400 miles on it, but it's running a little rough. The guy I bought it off of said it was running a little rough when he brought it to me. (He actually rode it down to our meeting). It had been sitting awhile because he had bought a new bike. It sometimes dies while idling. I took it out the other day for my first ride beyond a mile. It seemed fine for a while. When I got on the highway, after about 1/2 mile at 60 mph it started to lose power. It seemed doggish. When I was able to pull off in a parking lot, as soon as I got off the throttle it died. It didn't want to start up again. I sat there for about 5 minutes, and then it took off again. I rode it straight home, and it died as soon as I pulled into the driveway. Again, it didn't want to start up. So I parked it. Tried it the next night. This time I just drove on country road at about 40-50 mph. Everytime I would go to stop at an intersection, if I would let off of the throttle it would die and not want to restart. There's a strong smell of gas, too. Also, the tank has a little rust in it. Any advice? I thought I would start w/ cleaning the tank out, and then cleaning the carb, but I'm a beginner so any advice would be welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just bought a 1978 Yamaha XS400. I'm completely new to motorcycles. It only has 4400 miles on it, but it's running a little rough. The guy I bought it off of said it was running a little rough when he brought it to me. (He actually rode it down to our meeting). It had been sitting awhile because he had bought a new bike. It sometimes dies while idling. I took it out the other day for my first ride beyond a mile. It seemed fine for a while. When I got on the highway, after about 1/2 mile at 60 mph it started to lose power. It seemed doggish. When I was able to pull off in a parking lot, as soon as I got off the throttle it died. It didn't want to start up again. I sat there for about 5 minutes, and then it took off again. I rode it straight home, and it died as soon as I pulled into the driveway. Again, it didn't want to start up. So I parked it. Tried it the next night. This time I just drove on country road at about 40-50 mph. Everytime I would go to stop at an intersection, if I would let off of the throttle it would die and not want to restart. There's a strong smell of gas, too. Also, the tank has a little rust in it. Any advice? I thought I would start w/ cleaning the tank out, and then cleaning the carb, but I'm a beginner so any advice would be welcome.

Get an in-line fuel filter. It sounds like there may be some debris in you float bowls or the jets are gummed a bit. Do you have any gas going into your air filters? If you get fuel going into your air filters, try tapping the float bowls and seeing how it does.

How do the plugs look?

Is it charging? Lights stay bright, etc? If you have a multimeter, make sure you have ~14.5 volts across the terminals at about 3k RPMS.

On these '70's XS360/400's a no charge condition is common. Your pilot jets could be plugged too.

On these '70's XS360/400's a no charge condition is common. Your pilot jets could be plugged too.

When I got my bike I could get on it for a bit of a ways and then it would die. I let it sit, it would crank back up to rinse and repeat. It was a charging problem - replaced the voltage regulator and it was fine. Like I said, check for ~14.5volts across the terminals.

With yours, your regulator will be mechanical and you may be able to adjust it.

When I got my bike I could get on it for a bit of a ways and then it would die. I let it sit, it would crank back up to rinse and repeat. It was a charging problem - replaced the voltage regulator and it was fine. Like I said, check for ~14.5volts across the terminals.

With yours, your regulator will be mechanical and you may be able to adjust it.

also, your petcocks have a tiny (but not that great) filter built in most likely. if you pull the back cover off the petcock, you might be able to clear out any rust that has built up in there. thats what I do whenever mine starts trying to run rough/backfire.

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

also, your petcocks have a tiny (but not that great) filter built in most likely. if you pull the back cover off the petcock, you might be able to clear out any rust that has built up in there. thats what I do whenever mine starts trying to run rough/backfire.

good luck

On the note of the petcock, call up your local Yamaha dealer. There was a recall on the 78/79 Yamaha XS400 on the petcock, I called my dealer the other day and they're just giving me one for free. This is a small shop that I know the owners of, so I don't know if your shop would do the same.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online